• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what's taking so long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? AZ

Here's a brief summary of my situation: Filed for divorce September 2006. I have sole physical and legal custody of the kids (5 & 10), mom has court supervised visitation. I work full time. Mom does not feel compelled to work. I pay all her separate living expenses. It's a long story, much has already been posted in this forum.

This divorce has been dragging on and on ...

I talked with the court clerk who works with our assigned judge earlier this week. I asked about our next hearing based on the last continuance. The continuance hasn't been assigned a date yet and he expects that it will be next year some time based on the court calendar. He made an off hand comment that we've been with them for a while, ... and that he bet I was looking for some ...finallity... He wasn't partisan, just commented that this was an old case.

At this point, I've been fighting this thing for 16 months already. How long can it take?

Much of the reason it's taken so long is due to STBX's attorney's delay tactics. He's really, really good at the ostrich technic. He just burry's his head in the sand and acts like he hasn't seen anything or heard anything from our side. We have to fight and fight to get back to court each time and he just acts like he doesn't know anything about the current motions. Dumbass...

Anyway, my question is: Is there anything that can be done to expedite the process (it's been over a year now)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? AZ

Here's a brief summary of my situation: Filed for divorce September 2006. I have sole physical and legal custody of the kids (5 & 10), mom has court supervised visitation. I work full time. Mom does not feel compelled to work. I pay all her separate living expenses. It's a long story, much has already been posted in this forum.

This divorce has been dragging on and on ...

I talked with the court clerk who works with our assigned judge earlier this week. I asked about our next hearing based on the last continuance. The continuance hasn't been assigned a date yet and he expects that it will be next year some time based on the court calendar. He made an off hand comment that we've been with them for a while, ... and that he bet I was looking for some ...finallity... He wasn't partisan, just commented that this was an old case.

At this point, I've been fighting this thing for 16 months already. How long can it take?

Much of the reason it's taken so long is due to STBX's attorney's delay tactics. He's really, really good at the ostrich technic. He just burry's his head in the sand and acts like he hasn't seen anything or heard anything from our side. We have to fight and fight to get back to court each time and he just acts like he doesn't know anything about the current motions. Dumbass...

Anyway, my question is: Is there anything that can be done to expedite the process (it's been over a year now)?

Your attorney has to get agressive about moving things along. If you don't have an attorney, it means that you need one....if you do have an attorney, you either need to light a fire under your attorney or get a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">