• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When a Judge misinterprets the code...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StacyInCalif

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'll make this brief. Filed for a temporary restraining order against someone for civil harassment (long involved case, these people are scary, have threatened violence and physical attacks against myself and my teenage daughter, I have proof of such printed and in my possession), was given ex parte hearing date, was told to have "anyone over the age of 18 not a party to the action" call them the night before the hearing, and fill out/sign the declaration form given to me by the court.

Ex parte hearing was this morning ~ had a friend of my husband call them yesterday evening at shortly after 9 pm, he filled out the declaration and I attended the hearing today. They apparently called some attorney (I know of him, not a good reputation and has an attorney discipline record...which is only relevant in that he is just the sort of lawyer I'd expect people like this to hire), who called the court saying he was still in bed (!) but on his way down to the courthouse to represent these people.

Now, as the judge calls the case, I am fully prepared with loads of documentation and evidence, and ready to state my case. Judge asks about notice, which I inform him that there should be an ex parte declaration included, which he finds. The attorney they hired objects on grounds of lack of notice. Judge upholds the objection and decides he has no jurisdiction to order any TRO or set any additional hearing AT ALL in this matter.

These folks have been stalking and harassing myself, my family (they even called my mother in another state, how they got her number I have no idea, to harass her about me), my landlady and so forth for months now. They had an attorney (different one) send a letter to my landlady's address (which I have no idea how they found, either, as it is NOT online anywhere nor in the phone book) threatening all sorts of bogus legal action and demanding that I send a letter directly to these people themselves. As they sought (and were granted, though how THAT works I have no idea) a TRO against ME for doing exactly what THEY are doing to me. Sending such a letter would be a violation of their TRO.

This is also the reason why neither I nor my husband (whom for some unknown reason is also named on their TRO request) wanted to make the ex parte notice call. I was told this morning by the judge that it is I who should have called them and that I had to give them "proper notice".

So, to make a long story even longer, I went back to the Civil Department and asked about what "proper notice" in an ex parte harassment hearing case was. FOUR HOURS before the hearing is to take place is what I was told. As they were notified almost twelve hours before the hearing, I would assume such to have been PROPER notice.

My question, after all that: Can I appeal this denial of my restraining order and get one in place before these people harm myself or my daughter (as they have threatened to do)?? Or am I just out of luck?

tranquility

As a practical matter, Out of Luck. You don't have an apealable final decision yet for your set of facts. Besides, if all this has been going on for that long, why do you need to do things ex parte? Serve them. Deal with it. Move on.

quincy

As an impractical matter ;), denials of applications for restraining orders are appealable (generally they are based on a judge's abuse of discretion). In your situation, it sounds as if the denial was based on improper notice.

Applications for restraining orders and ex parte orders are not complete unless accompanied by a declaration signed by the party setting forth the particulars of the notice (or a reason why the notice wasn't given).

If this was a domestic violence-related ex parte restraining order you were seeking, the denial of a temporary restraining order should not have been made based on improper notice to the other party.

I agree with tranquility that you should refile for a restraining order and serve proper notice and wait for a hearing date or, if the restraining order is of an emergency nature and you fear for your safety and the safety of your daughter if one is not in place immediately, you can again file for an ex parte order. An ex parte order is made for the benefit of one party only (you) and without notice to, or argument by, the other party adversely interested. It is for temporary and emergency relief.

I recommend you consult with an attorney to make sure your application is proper, and I would not rely on a "friend of [your] husband" for advice and service of notice.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

had a friend of my husband call them yesterday evening at shortly after 9 pm,
Improper notice. The applicable code is to follow.
The attorney they hired objects on grounds of lack of notice. Judge upholds the objection
The attorney is RIGHT ON, so is the judge for that matter.
I went back to the Civil Department and asked about what "proper notice" in an ex parte harassment hearing case was. FOUR HOURS before the hearing is to take place is what I was told.
If that is in fact what they told you, and I have no reason to believe that it wasn't, you were told wrong.
My question, after all that: Can I appeal this denial of my restraining order
an appeal would have to be based on an error in the law. The only error that occurred was on your part, therefore, you have no grounds for appeal.

California Rules of the Court, Section 3.1203 states:

Rule 3.1203. Time of notice to other parties
(a) Time of notice
A party seeking an ex parte order must notify all parties no later than 10:00 a.m. the court day before the ex parte appearance, absent a showing of exceptional circumstances that justify a shorter time for notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">