• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can you ask the Sheriff to lock up the door after 3 days notice is served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wayner

California

I have this commercial tenant that is not paying rent for close 2 months and not responsive to all my inquiries. I am about to serve her 3 days notice. If she does not pay up after 3 days do I have to file for Unlawful detainer first before I ask the Sheriff to lock up her doors ? Pls advise.

LdiJ

California

I have this commercial tenant that is not paying rent for close 2 months and not responsive to all my inquiries. I am about to serve her 3 days notice. If she does not pay up after 3 days do I have to file for Unlawful detainer first before I ask the Sheriff to lock up her doors ? Pls advise.
Yes, you have to file for and be granted the unlawful detainer before you can lock them out. You cannot lock them out without due process.

sandyclaus

California

Apparently, you aren't very familiar with the legal aspects of being a LL - commercial OR residential - as evidenced by the fact that you have allowed them to remain for nearly 2 months without starting the eviction process. There is a proper legal procedure that you MUST follow, or it provides your tenant with viable options to counter any eviction procedures that you might effect.

Here is a step-by-step guide I found that tells you how to evict a tenant from a commercial property in California:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/evict-tenant-commercial-building-3028.html

Follow it, and for the best results, hire yourself an attorney who specializes in commercial property to handle the eviction.

Wayner

Thanks for all the great input. This tenant has been paying on time for the last 2.5 years and have never been late until Nov 2013 and I tried to contact her to see what is going on. She has been very easy and pleasant to deal with in the past and I want to give her a chance to respond. For reasons I did not understand she has evaded my inquiry and only paid up partial of what she owned for 2 months. Yet the way how she has been avoiding touched a wrong nerve in me and I doubt her business will survive long so I reluctantly have to deal with this process to force up to pay up the full past due rent.

Yes my lawyers used to handle these cases but I no longer want to entrust all matters without knowing the process or procedures myself.

TigerD

What does your lease say?
Did you take a security interest in the contents of the building?
Did you file a UCC-1?

Use your attorney and ask a lot of questions.

DC

Wayner

What does your lease say?
Did you take a security interest in the contents of the building?
Did you file a UCC-1?

Use your attorney and ask a lot of questions.

DC
I am giving her a deadline to pay up all the rent past due this week and if I don't get all the remaining amount by the due date I will be filing a 3 days notice before an unlawful detainer. Out of curiosity can you file unlawful detainer (for evicting commercial tenants) directly to court without hiring an atttorney in California ?

TigerD

I am giving her a deadline to pay up all the rent past due this week and if I don't get all the remaining amount by the due date I will be filing a 3 days notice before an unlawful detainer. Out of curiosity can you file unlawful detainer (for evicting commercial tenants) directly to court without hiring an atttorney in California ?
Again, the key question is: What does your lease say?
As for filing unlawful detainer pro se, how is your business organized? Are you a corporation, LLC, or sole proprietorship?

DC

Wayner

Again, the key question is: What does your lease say?
As for filing unlawful detainer pro se, how is your business organized? Are you a corporation, LLC, or sole proprietorship?

DC
So far I have given the tenant more than enough time to respond in relation to the terms and agreement stated in the Lease Agreement and she is in default. I have setup a corporation (C Corporation) and I know unlawful detainer would only allows me to get the space back and I have to file seperate legal suit against the tenants to recover monetary damages.

I have been burnt by unethnical lawyers in the last 3 years (taken a few of them to the bar) and I simply want to take care of this on my own if I can.

TigerD

So far I have given the tenant more than enough time to respond in relation to the terms and agreement stated in the Lease Agreement and she is in default. I have setup a corporation (C Corporation) and I know unlawful detainer would only allows me to get the space back and I have to file seperate legal suit against the tenants to recover monetary damages.

I have been burnt by unethnical lawyers in the last 3 years (taken a few of them to the bar) and I simply want to take care of this on my own if I can.
You cannot legally handle this yourself. You are not your corporation. You must hire an attorney.

DC

CdwJava

California

This is for a COURT to order, not you. You can ask them to do anything, but without a court order they ain't gonna lock a tenant out of anyplace!

Wayner

You cannot legally handle this yourself. You are not your corporation. You must hire an attorney.

DC
I am just an authorized agent of the corporation and I don't even hold majority of the shares of the company. I called the supercourt of my county and asked even I could represent on behalf of the company and the answer is yes. I can file UD 100 and file for default judgement later on if there is no answer 5 days after the summon.

Wayner

This is for a COURT to order, not you. You can ask them to do anything, but without a court order they ain't gonna lock a tenant out of anyplace!
Yes I know this is a writ of possession which I can only file with the Sheriff after I received the court order and the Sheriff will post a 5 days notice to vacate before they lock out the doors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am just an authorized agent of the corporation and I don't even hold majority of the shares of the company. I called the supercourt of my county and asked even I could represent on behalf of the company and the answer is yes. I can file UD 100 and file for default judgement later on if there is no answer 5 days after the summon.
Again, a corporation must be represented by an attorney in this matter. To do otherwise will amount to the unlawful practice of law.

Wayner

Again, a corporation must be represented by an attorney in this matter. To do otherwise will amount to the unlawful practice of law.
Ok. Then in the small claims court I can actually represent my corporation against a former residential tenant who breached a lease with the corporation ? Why do they allow that in small claims court ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok. Then in the small claims court I can actually represent my corporation against a former residential tenant who breached a lease with the corporation ? Why do they allow that in small claims court ?
Because small claims court is a different animal. You are not going to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">