• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When Does CA SOL Start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Person doesn't pay his credit card for four months and the bank then closes the account to new charges. Six months later a payment is made to the bank on the account but before the account is charged off. Subsequently the charged off account is sold to another collection agency. Does the SOL in California begin when the account closes to new charges (closed book), when it first goes delinquent or when that payment six months later is made?

I have looked online trying to determine the answer and had conflicting results. I've seen case law stating it begins once the book is closed on the account regardless of subsequent payment but other sources stating that payment afterwards resets the SOL constituting a new promise to pay.

I know which one I'd LIKE it to be, but someone versed in this area weighing in would be appreciated.

Last edited:

racer72

The SOL started the day you breached your contract. The definition of breach per the state statutes is failure to live up to one's contractual obligations. What the creditor defines as breached will be spelled out in the credit card agreement. The SOL clock is also reset if any payments are made on the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">