• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When Does child support End officially?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am currently paying child support which will soon end if i read the papers correctly. My child will turn 18 on May 20, but will graduate on June 1. The papers state that child support is to be paid on the first of each month until the first month following the date of earliest occurrence of one of the events below:
child turns 18 or graduates high school whichever is later, or
child marries, or
child dies, or
child enlists in military

If child is not 18 and has not graduated high school child support continues for as long as child is enrolled
under chap 25 Texas Education Code in a secondary school in a program leading toward a high school diploma under section 130.008 of the education code in courses for joint high school and junior college credit and is complying with minimum attendance requirements, or
on a full time basis in a private secondary school in a program leading toward a high school diploma and is complying with the minimum attendance requirements.

My question is when does child support end. I am thinking it will end July 1 since she graduates on June 1. My ex-wife told one of the other children that it will continue as long as the child is in college. Which is correct according to the papers.

justalayman

My question is when does child support end. I am thinking it will end July 1 since she graduates on June 1. My ex-wife told one of the other children that it will continue as long as the child is in college. Which is correct according to the papers.
I don't see where the ex-wife is getting her info. The terms you listed are quite clear.

child turns 18 or graduates high school whichever is later, or
child marries, or
child dies, or
child enlists in military
the one you are concerned with is the first one, obviously, and once the child graduates HIGH SCHOOL or turns 18, whichever is later, it ends.

nextwife

My ex-wife told one of the other children that it will continue as long as the child is in college. Which is correct according to the papers.
HAH! I knew people who stayed in college 'till age 30 (to stay out of the military draft)!

Can you imgaine having CS just continue indefinately, no matter how long someone chose to stay in college, switching majors, dropping classes?

Last edited:

dwsalyer

What if

What if the child turns 18, but fails their senior year and doesn't graduate? Does support still continue until they graduate in that case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">