• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does the effect of a speed limit sign end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samolet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Let's say there is a speed limit sign posted on a street, and the posted speed is different from the default. How far does the effect of this sign reach if there is no another sign overriding it? Nearest intersection? End of street? City limits? I could not find any information about it online.

OHRoadwarrior

End of street if it ends. End of city limits if it doesn't. IE next place a statutory division occurs. Note, speed on next street could be same, higher or lower by statute if not sign.

samolet

That's what I thought. But can you point to any regulation/statute that confirms that?

TIA

PS. In some countries sign works until an intersection. So, "until the end of street" rule is not obvious.

The Occultist

Some countries? Really? Not only is this site for US law only, but we also require to know what state you're in because even that differs within this country. We are largely not concerned with the laws in other nations.

Now, I don't necessarily accept all the words in RoadWarrior's posts, but I have no statutes to point to that will prove or disprove his post, so...take that as you will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">