• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When mom is gone on vacation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigDadTX

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

I continue to struggle to get visitation enforced. I found out today that she is gone for a week on a cruise somewhere, meanwhile the kids are home alone. The two oldest (17 and16) are home alone for a week while the other two (13 and 11) are staying with her mother. I would love to have them for the week! Do I have a right to go get them until she gets back??? Suggestions.....

justalayman

Unless there is something in your order giving you first rights to the children if there is a need for child care, no, you have no rights to take them while they are on mom's time. While on mom's time, she controls what the children do and if the is be at g-ma's house or taking care of her house, that is her right.

even if you had first rights, you still could not require the older children to go to your house as they do not require child care.

CJane

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

I continue to struggle to get visitation enforced. I found out today that she is gone for a week on a cruise somewhere, meanwhile the kids are home alone. The two oldest (17 and16) are home alone for a week while the other two (13 and 11) are staying with her mother. I would love to have them for the week! Do I have a right to go get them until she gets back??? Suggestions.....
If you're having a struggle with visitation enforcement ANYWAY, why would you blatantly do something like go get the kids when it's not your court ordered time?

What if Mom WASN'T on a cruise, and just decided to let the two younger ones spend a week with Grandma? That's her right. You'd have no inherent right to go get them.

My kids will spend a week or two with my Mom this summer. During my time. That's my right. Yeah, I'll be traveling while they're gone, but that's also my right.

BigDadTX

Thank you for the input. I thought that was the case, but I wanted to check. I am fighting a case of parental alienation and am going to have to take her back to court. I just wanted to know if I had any room to work here. I miss my kids and am looking for anything to help my cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">