• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When you grow up - - -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drivingmecrazy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Santa Barbara, California

Thats right, my ex manage, Vice President of Global Information Systems, said to me the following:

"When you grow up and decide what you want to do as a career, we will sit down and have a career discussion." end quote...

Is this age discrimination? :confused:

Thank you,
driving me CRAZYWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Santa Barbara, California

Thats right, my ex manage, Vice President of Global Information Systems, said to me the following:

"When you grow up and decide what you want to do as a career, we will sit down and have a career discussion." end quote...

Is this age discrimination? :confused:

Thank you,
driving me CRAZYWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ahhh...No.

cyjeff

Perhaps. I would have to know the context of his/her statement to offer an opinion. But telling you to grow up is not discriminatory.
To be legally precise, it IS discriminatory.

However, it does not fall under LEGALLY ACTIONABLE discrimination.

People discriminate every day. Most kinds are perfectly legal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be legally precise, it IS discriminatory.

However, it does not fall under LEGALLY ACTIONABLE discrimination.

People discriminate every day. Most kinds are perfectly legal.
I disagree. How was it discriminatory?

cyjeff

I disagree. How was it discriminatory?
The employer believed that the OP is immature and needed to better him/her self. Therefore, there would be no discussion of future career direction.

Another, more mature candidate, may have been granted that discussion and would have been granted that audience..

The employer, therefore, discriminated....choosing a mature person over an immature one.

HOWEVER, maturity (or lack thereof) is not a legally protected class.

CourtClerk

The employer believed that the OP is immature and needed to better him/her self. Therefore, there would be no discussion of future career direction.

Another, more mature candidate, may have been granted that discussion and would have been granted that audience..

The employer, therefore, discriminated....choosing a mature person over an immature one.

HOWEVER, maturity (or lack thereof) is not a legally protected class.
That was so.... darn...... eloquent:p

Hot Topic

I think you have some growing up to do if you think that telling you to "grow up" is discriminatory.

Your boss was issueing you a warning about your performance. You just didn't realize it at the time because you were so busy trying to figure out if you could get some bucks out of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">