• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to find info for my state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momself

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was surfing last night and found this while looking up articles on depositions. Can someone tell me where i could find out if something like this relates to missouri laws? The page i found this on doesn't say if it's for a particular state or not. Thanks!

Although a defendant in a criminal case cannot be forced to testify in his/her criminal trial,
that same defendant in his or her divorce case can be denied protection from having to testify at a deposition. If the defendant then decides to take the Fifth Amendment in the civil case, the law presumes that the truthful answer to the question would not be in the defendant's favor.
In contrast, in the context of a criminal case, the taking of the Fifth cannot be construed as an admission of the matter.

Whyte Noise

In civil court, there is no presumption of innocence or accompanying requirement to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (99%+ certainty): only a preponderance of the evidence (51%) is necessary. Civil court offers no right against self-incrimination and the accused can be forced to testify.

This is Federal law. Couldn't find one on particular states.

momself

Ok, thats the way i understood it. My attorney had told me at one time that we could order my ex to take a deposition also, but we couldn't ask any questions having to do with the criminal case. They kind of go hand in hand though. I'm gonna ask him again about this. Thanks so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">