• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hrjllk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I wa living in California and got in trouble when I was 18. I was charged with some others and we were in a car and they arrested me for breaking into a fast food. I got a felony in 1979. I moved to Indiana got married. In 1993 my lawyer got my case reduced, set aside, vacated and dismissed totally expunged. I was working at a factory and it closed in 2005. I got a job at a prison 2005 and ask about a felonies I put no because I was told to do so.
The prison did not finger print me until the middle of 2008. They said I lied and I brought my paper work showing the court took care of it. Well the DOJ did not get the update. It is over a year later and i can not get a job but, DOJ is working on an update. What can i do about all this i loved my job and never took 1 day off only for vacation. I worked all the overtime I could. When I applied for unemployment the prison fought it. The judge ask them if I did anything else to get fire. They said no and the judge told them he thought I did not try to deceive them and I won my case. Again what can I do? thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

What can i do about all this i loved my job and never took 1 day off only for vacation.
Do about what?? Get your old job back?? Get a new job?? Try to expedite the records??

If you mean to get your old job back, depending on the question asked and your answer, likely nothing.
If the question asked was "Have you ever been charged with a felony?" the correct answer is YES. No would be a lie.
If the question was "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?", again the correct answer is YES. No would be a lie.
If the question was "Do you currently have a felony conviction on your record?", the correct answer would be only determined by whether the record exists.... and it clearly did.

Also, I have some concerns as to whether you have your facts straight. It would be VERY unusual for a FELONY conviction in another state (California) in 1979 to be "reduced, set aside, vacated and dismissed" some FOURTEEN years later, from another state (Indiana).
Now, it might be that the conviction was expunged.... but not reduced (since the sentence would presumably have been completed), not set aside or vacated (same thing... but simply doesn't happen).

pattytx

However, in answer to the question posted in the subject line of this thread, I think the answer is SJ. ;) I miss SJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">