• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns your opinion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? AZ and VA

Who owns your opinion?

Do you lose your right to voice your opinion on message boards, if it differs from your employer? Are you misrepresenting your company when you post these opposing views? Recently two persons were talked to (one fired another still pending) for doing nothing more than posting a view on a topic! One was told he misrepresented his company yet he never said who he worked for? Heres an example but not actual incident

Person "A" states on message board that catching shoplifters cost more than saves. Person "A" never states who he works for nor is it on his profile

Company "B" views the catching of shoplifters as productive and is person "A"s employer

Company "B" sees or is told of person "A" post and reads it. Comapny "B" is also aware of or is made aware of Person "A" real name address etc

Company "B" calls person "A" in to talk to higher ups and is accused of misrepresenting company "B"

Now who owns your opinion? If Company "B" is successful in termination, suspension or even just write up arent they saying they own your opinion? Does this suggest that any of us can be fired for our opinions!? If your posting your own personal view and not stating your company or the companies view as wrong are you misrepresenting them? This is what one or both of these persons is facing. Are we losing our right to post opinions on message boards? Are our freedom of speech rights being violated? So does your company own your opinion? Would you risk termination and possible ruined career by posting your opinion on any message board?

If you need further info thats fine but I am limited on what I can say since one of these two persons still dealing with situation his higher ups have made it clear its not over yet.

justalayman

you own your own opinion but if your employer doesn;t like your opinion, they can fire you.

I'm sure they will let you take your opinion with you when you leave.

you need to read the first amendment. You can answer your own question of freedom of speach very easily once you do.

Ok yes however then this means companies (if they choose) can troll boards (like this one) find employees and terminate them for their views. Yes I am aware of "at will". this thread was meant o generate discussion that I can pass on to one of the two in hopes it may help them

justalayman

Sorry, I won't be of any help to assist them. Whether I believe it to be right or wrong is irrelevent. The fact is it is legal.

justalayman

why would this be any more problematic than an employer performing a background check or inquiring of prior employers.

The computer age is here and your life may be a very public matter. If the employer does not like the things they see, what is wrong with discharging the employee. If a person is disgruntled (btw; have you ever seen anybody that was "gruntled"?) then maybe they shouldn;t be at that particular employer. Maybe this gives the employer opportunity to counsel the employee and discuss pervieved problems.

your original post:

Who owns your opinion?
we "own" our opinions

Do you lose your right to voice your opinion on message boards, if it differs from your employer?
No, you don't. However expressing your rights can have unintended and undesirable side effects.
Are you misrepresenting your company when you post these opposing views?
it depends upon what you mean as misrepresenting. If you are not authorized to represent your employer, (whichis more than likely the case) then you are not misrepresenting them because you are not representing them to begin with. If you mean in terms of distributing untrue information; that is up to the poster whether it is true or not. You could be lying about the employer but unless it is a great injustice, there will probably be no repercussions other than termination.

now who owns your opinion
already answered

If Company "B" is successful in termination, suspension or even just write up arent they saying they own your opinion?
No, they are saying they do not like what you are doing.

Does this suggest that any of us can be fired for our opinions!?
suggest hell!! that is a given. Go tell your boss he is an ******* and see how long your employment lasts
If your posting your own personal view and not stating your company or the companies view as wrong are you misrepresenting them?
you could be showing them in a bad light which the componay denies. The company may feel you are misrepresenting them but in all actuality you may not be and it really doesn;t make any difference for this situation
Are we losing our right to post opinions on message boards?
Nope, merely risking the employment if the employer does not like the posting.
Are our freedom of speech rights being violated?
Who told you the 1st amendment is applicable in a situation like this. They were wrong. The 1st is directed to government actions, not private enterprise.
So does your company own your opinion?
still, no
Would you risk termination and possible ruined career by posting your opinion on any message board?
Do you mean would I actually do such a thing? It depends on what it is and how stringly I felt about things.

If you mean can posting risk your employment and career? Most definately.

Gadfly

The computer has nothing to do with it.

Message boards are public forums. So is standing up in town square and stating your opinion. That does NOT mean others have to accept it. And if I am paying you and you don't like the way I run my business, don't expect me to keep you around.

Further, your employer has as much right to "troll message boards" as he has to wander the streets while you are stating your opinion.

You have the right to your opinion and to express it. I have the right to hear it and disagree.

Last edited:
Wrong Road

This did not go down the road I had intended and perhaps I didnt word things well. I am well aware of "at will" I posted to others about it many times. Now I do realize the "at will" issues in firing. Heres my question. Does a website (like this one but not this one) have the right to contact my employer over my posts? Even if they (the employer) are not named nor am I violated OPSEC in any way! Can said website not only contact my employer over my posts but release my name address phone etc to employer knowing that a firing is possible!? thats what happened to my friends. Now a conflict occured between one and website a week or so before and its "believed" this was act of vengence as one friend got a boycott of site together, which by the way was mentioned when higher ups talked to one friend! So can a website contact an employer and not only show post but give employer personl info on poster to prove to employer who it is?

justalayman

unless there is some sort of agreement that personal info would be kept confidential,

yes, they can.

It would be the same as you telling me something and me calling your employer and telling them what you said.

Gadfly

Again, if you don't want others to know what you are thinking, keep your comments to yourself and for darn sure don't post them where everyone in the world can see them. There's a reason why it is called the WORLD wide web!

Last edited:
Privacy statement

XXX.com is committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that gives you the most powerful and safe online experience. This Statement of Privacy applies to the XXX.com Web site and governs data collection and usage. By using the XXX.com website, you consent to the data practices described in this statement.

Collection of your Personal Information

XXX.com collects personally identifiable information, such as your e-mail address, name, home or work address or telephone number. XXX.com also collects anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your ZIP code, age, gender, preferences, interests and favorites.

There is also information about your computer hardware and software that is automatically collected by XXX.com. This information can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring Web site addresses. This information is used by XXX.com for the operation of the service, to maintain quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the XXX.com Web site.

Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose personally identifiable information or personally sensitive data through XXX.com public message boards, this information may be collected and used by others. Note: XXX.com does not read any of your private online communications.

XXX.com encourages you to review the privacy statements of Web sites you choose to link to from XXX.com so that you can understand how those Web sites collect, use and share your information. XXX.com is not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on Web sites outside of the XXX.com and XXX.com family of Web sites.

Use of your Personal Information

XXX.com collects and uses your personal information to operate the XXX.com Web site and deliver the services you have requested. XXX.com also uses your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from XXX.com and its affiliates. XXX.com may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current services or of potential new services that may be offered.

XXX.com does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties. XXX.com may, from time to time, contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering that may be of interest to you. In those cases, your unique personally identifiable information (e-mail, name, address, telephone number) is not transferred to the third party. In addition, XXX.com may share data with trusted partners to help us perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to XXX.com, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.

XXX.com does not use or disclose sensitive personal information, such as race, religion, or political affiliations, without your explicit consent.

XXX.com keeps track of the Web sites and pages our customers visit within XXX.com, in order to determine what XXX.com services are the most popular. This data is used to deliver customized content and advertising within XXX.com to customers whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area.

XXX.com Web sites will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on XXX.com or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of XXX.com; and, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of XXX.com, or the public.

Use of Cookies

The XXX.com Web site use "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.

One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the Web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize XXX.com pages, or register with XXX.com site or services, a cookie helps XXX.com to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same XXX.com Web site, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the XXX.com features that you customized.

You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the LPInformation.com services or Web sites you visit.

Security of your Personal Information

XXX.com secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. XXX.com secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other Web sites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.

Changes to this Statement

XXX.com will occasionally update this Statement of Privacy to reflect company and customer feedback. XXX.com encourages you to periodically review this Statement to be informed of how XXX.com is protecting your information.

Contact Information

XXX.com welcomes your comments regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you believe that XXX.com has not adhered to this Statement, please contact LPInformation.com at XXX@XXX We will use commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and remedy the problem.

Gadfly

XXX.com welcomes your comments regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you believe that XXX.com has not adhered to this Statement, please contact LPInformation.com at XXX@XXX We will use commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and remedy the problem.
asked and answered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">