• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who would be responsible for getting and paying a locksmith in this circumstance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state? New York

Person A locally advertises an antique roll-top desk for sale. Person B responds to the ad, but when B arrives, the top of the desk is open. Wanting to see the condition of the whole top, B pulls it down, but in doing so, the desk locks. Person A's car, detached garage and house keys are locked inside. Person A says Person B is responsible for hiring and paying a locksmith to open the desk. Person B says they can't be held responsible for something they didn't know would happen (i.e. the desk would lock when the top was closed). Who is correct?

FlyingRon

Person A is full of it. Why on earth would you put your keys inside a desk you're trying to sell?

The standard is not just that Person B didn't know the desk would lock, but that NO PERSON would reasonably assume shutting a roll top would lock that way NOR that Person A would be dumb enough to put all the keys inside something that would autolock.

I've never seen a rolltop desk (antique or otherwise) with other than a simple cam lock which takes positive action to latch.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree that person A is responsible.

Having said that - as a daily user of a roll-top desk, I can assure you that it's possible for it to lock unintentionally when it's not functioning properly. I had to tape the lock open on mine.

zddoodah

Person A is full of it. Why on earth would you put your keys inside a desk you're trying to sell?

I've never seen a rolltop desk (antique or otherwise) with other than a simple cam lock which takes positive action to latch.
Agree, and this sort of illustrates the silliness of what I assume is a purely hypothetical question.

zddoodah

Out of curiosity, how much was this "antique" desk advertised for sale?

Also, when did this happen? Did A actually call a locksmith and, if so, how much did the locksmith charge? Has any money changed hands?

debodun

$600 and a chair, bookcase and waste basket were included. Desk locked yesterday. Locksmith came today. $90 for 3 minutes work.

Eekamouse

This couldn't have been the first time the desk accidentally locked itself when the top was put down. Person A should have had a spare key or had a way to jimmy it open. $90 to have a locksmith come out. Nope, person A can pay that fee himself.

quincy

This couldn't have been the first time the desk accidentally locked itself when the top was put down. Person A should have had a spare key or had a way to jimmy it open. $90 to have a locksmith come out. Nope, person A can pay that fee himself.
I agree that this was probably not a problem with the desk that was unknown to the seller.

quincy

If by that you mean did the person buy the desk - the answer is "NO". She walked away from it and the whole situation.
Person B probably was smart to walk away, especially if Person A tried to argue with him his responsibility for paying a locksmith.

The owner of the desk should have a duplicate key made for the desk prior to trying to sell it again. The owner should note to potential buyers the automatic lock on the desk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">