• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why are American courts so harsh?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a foreigner and I am thinking about moving my business to the U.S..
However there are some serious issues here:

"An estimated 5.1% of all persons in the United States will be confined in a State or Federal prison during their lifetime, if incarceration rates recorded in 1991 remain unchanged in the future. The lifetime chances of a person going to prison are higher for men (9.0%) than for women (1.1%)".

Well sadly I am a man and sadly I am young. That means my chances are high. 9% is actually very high!.

- Take this into account: men who don't do much and just do their job and don't ask questions, they often will not get into trouble as someone who runs a business and is ACTIVELY trying to do something new or innovative. Even by an accident, he could find himself doing something illegal
- If 9% actually ended up in prison, what is the actual percentage of people who were tried and had to go through years or investigation and losing their nerves and health?

So as if that was not enough...

The thing that is way more worrying for me is the fact that people get very long sentencing. Sometimes, watching some trials, I was shocked how much they get.

So now I am seriously rethinking my idea about moving my business there. Is the 10% less taxes really worth it? If I am going to spend being anxious, my creative work will suffer. I cannot work under such pressure. Out of 10 things I did, let's say 1 was kind of not perfectly legal. It happened, it was just too much work and I took a few shortcuts. In whole my business is very noble but sometimes you just skip some parts or whatever, it is impossible to do everything perfectly.

It seems to me however, that Americans entrepreneurship is so rigorously checked and controlled, as if they are criminals with bad intentions. It comes as no surprise to me to see Chinese companies such as Huawei or Xiaomi defeat their competitors. One has to has some general sense of what the company is doing and not go in there and seek for a mistake and then impose these draconian fines.

For example a man called Irwin Allen Schiff, did not want to pay his taxes for whatever reason he claimed he didn't have to pay them. I don't want to get into his case since I know very little about it. What I do know is how he was treated in prison and they treated him like the worst kind of criminal you can imagine. They moved him hundreds of miles away from his community and family against his will to another prison and almost no one was able to visit him. Ultimately he died in prison.

So my idea is very noble, the job and work I do actually helps people in need. I have no intention to scam people but no human is perfect and I am really scared and thinking that it is nor a smart idea to move to the U.S. now...

1. so why is it so? Why are American prisons filled with non violent people? Are they all really evil doctor x or something? Or is there more to it? Were they and their entire persona judged because of one incident and their lives were ruined?

2. Does this actually even help innovation and entrepreneurship? I can imagine that people in 20s or 30s were way more innovative because they didn't have a feeling that someone is breathing down their neck with a flashlight, inspecting everything they do...

Just Blue

I am a foreigner and I am thinking about moving my business to the U.S..
However there are some serious issues here:

"An estimated 5.1% of all persons in the United States will be confined in a State or Federal prison during their lifetime, if incarceration rates recorded in 1991 remain unchanged in the future. The lifetime chances of a person going to prison are higher for men (9.0%) than for women (1.1%)".

Well sadly I am a man and sadly I am young. That means my chances are high. 9% is actually very high!.

- Take this into account: men who don't do much and just do their job and don't ask questions, they often will not get into trouble as someone who runs a business and is ACTIVELY trying to do something new or innovative. Even by an accident, he could find himself doing something illegal
- If 9% actually ended up in prison, what is the actual percentage of people who were tried and had to go through years or investigation and losing their nerves and health?

So as if that was not enough...

The thing that is way more worrying for me is the fact that people get very long sentencing. Sometimes, watching some trials, I was shocked how much they get.

So now I am seriously rethinking my idea about moving my business there. Is the 10% less taxes really worth it? If I am going to spend being anxious, my creative work will suffer. I cannot work under such pressure. Out of 10 things I did, let's say 1 was kind of not perfectly legal. It happened, it was just too much work and I took a few shortcuts. In whole my business is very noble but sometimes you just skip some parts or whatever, it is impossible to do everything perfectly.

It seems to me however, that Americans entrepreneurship is so rigorously checked and controlled, as if they are criminals with bad intentions. It comes as no surprise to me to see Chinese companies such as Huawei or Xiaomi defeat their competitors. One has to has some general sense of what the company is doing and not go in there and seek for a mistake and then impose these draconian fines.

For example a man called Irwin Allen Schiff, did not want to pay his taxes for whatever reason he claimed he didn't have to pay them. I don't want to get into his case since I know very little about it. What I do know is how he was treated in prison and they treated him like the worst kind of criminal you can imagine. They moved him hundreds of miles away from his community and family against his will to another prison and almost no one was able to visit him. Ultimately he died in prison.

So my idea is very noble, the job and work I do actually helps people in need. I have no intention to scam people but no human is perfect and I am really scared and thinking that it is nor a smart idea to move to the U.S. now...

1. so why is it so? Why are American prisons filled with non violent people? Are they all really evil doctor x or something? Or is there more to it? Were they and their entire persona judged because of one incident and their lives were ruined?

2. Does this actually even help innovation and entrepreneurship? I can imagine that people in 20s or 30s were way more innovative because they didn't have a feeling that someone is breathing down their neck with a flashlight, inspecting everything they do...
So don't move here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">