• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why are so many threads getting closed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bloopy

Why are so many threads getting closed? They can't all be OPs closing.

Don't worry, this one is fit for deletion. It just seemed strange.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After a while, the answer has already been given...no reason to keep up with the chit-chat I suppose.

Yes, threads being closed and quite a few members scarce the last few days. I think the mods are on a tear and I don't see any reason why. I check in a few times a day so I don't miss much.

LdiJ

The moderator always closes threads that have either deteriorated to the point where they are completely off topic, or where the correct answer has already been given and the thread has turned into a bashfest of one sort or another. Sometimes the moderator will also close one that has simply gotten way too long.

Yes, there are a few regulars still missing, but they will be back soon.

In addition, it costs a great amount of money to run one of these sites. Bandwidth alone is high when the topic is on course and the answer to the question has not been answer.

Therefore, in order to keep cost low this is a step a site owner takes when they offer a forum on their site.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
In addition, it costs a great amount of money to run one of these sites. Bandwidth alone is high when the topic is on course and the answer to the question has not been answer.

Therefore, in order to keep cost low this is a step a site owner takes when they offer a forum on their site.
I don't know about all that.... Bandwidth and storage are both relatively cheap these days. I know of a service that can provide 1gig of storage and 2gigs of data transfer per month for under $10... And I bet if I googled it, I could find more of the same. ;)

I don't know about all that.... Bandwidth and storage are both relatively cheap these days. I know of a service that can provide 1gig of storage and 2gigs of data transfer per month for under $10... And I bet if I googled it, I could find more of the same. ;)
This all depends on how you look at it. This site could be stored in house thus being connected to T lines that are also used for other purposes. A T line alone costs anywhere from $300 mo to over 1 grand a mo.

Also if you notice this script auto-refreshes after X amount of time, when that happens your sending the same data transfer rate again if not more. For those that keep on this site all night while they sleep also eat up more BW. Not to mention the PM script used here.

Plus 2 gig is not a lot when you have as many viewers and areas as this site does.

LdiJ

This all depends on how you look at it. This site could be stored in house thus being connected to T lines that are also used for other purposes. A T line alone costs anywhere from $300 mo to over 1 grand a mo.

Also if you notice this script auto-refreshes after X amount of time, when that happens your sending the same data transfer rate again if not more. For those that keep on this site all night while they sleep also eat up more BW. Not to mention the PM script used here.

Plus 2 gig is not a lot when you have as many viewers and areas as this site does.
I have to seriously agree with your analysis. In addition, they keep all posts, permanently, (unless they get deleted for a specific reason) so we are talking some serious storage space as well.

Last edited:

wileybunch

I think you mean T-1 and for over a grand a month, you can get a T-3 with a failover line. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">