• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why did dectives read me my miranda rights before an interview?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashleyyyyt

Last week while I was working I was robbed at the store.The police have not found the suspect.A few days later they called me and asked if I would stop by for a few questions I agreed thinking nothing of it.When I arrived they brought me into an interview room and read me my miranda rights I was never arrested nor am I involved with the incident I just happened to be the only witness.So my question is why did they read me my rights is it legal and do I have to continue to talk to them now.Also the interview was not tape recorded but they did say I was a suspect.

sandyclaus

Last week while I was working I was robbed at the store.The police have not found the suspect.A few days later they called me and asked if I would stop by for a few questions I agreed thinking nothing of it.When I arrived they brought me into an interview room and read me my miranda rights I was never arrested nor am I involved with the incident I just happened to be the only witness.So my question is why did they read me my rights is it legal and do I have to continue to talk to them now.Also the interview was not tape recorded but they did say I was a suspect.
Right there it is. If they consider you a viable suspect, they are required to advise you of your rights before questioning you. Otherwise, any statements you make that may tend to incriminate you could be unavailable for their use due to failure to advise you of your rights.

CdwJava

What on Earth makes you believe the interview was not recorded? They do not have to tell you if it was or not, and I'd be willing to bet a sawbuck that it WAS recorded - at least on an audio tape if not video.

They likely read you your rights because you were in a confined space and might feel that you were not free to go, and if you suddenly had a Perry Mason moment and confessed to being involved in the crime they wouldn't want to lose the confession because an attorney argued that you were in custody and Miranda should have applied.

In some agencies, Miranda is policy before any interview in a confined space even if you were not technically under arrest (as it can be argued that the restraint was consistent with an arrest). I suspect that was the case here. Plus, if they do believe you to be involved, they will of course read you your rights.

Oh, and as you were told when they Mirandized you, you could have declined to speak with them.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Any time a police officer tells you that you may need an attorney, you need one. Of course, there are lots of times that you should remain silent and get an attorney that they do not (nor are required to) tell you about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">