• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why was i not alowed to do child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaineGal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine.

Ok long story short the father of my son(never married) and I just did a PNR Court case was last month. I was giving solo custody. The biggest thing I don't like is the fact that when me, my lawyer, my ex, and his lawyer got to gether before the court date the lawyers decided with out my input to not ask for child support because my ex is out of work, and the courts ok it. What I can't figure out is why would they do this and not ask me what I wanted or though. The only answer I get when asking my lawyer why, is that because hes not working(going for SSI) that he would not be able to pay and would just be behind and such.

Any one got any idea what I can do bout it?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine.

Ok long story short the father of my son(never married) and I just did a PNR Court case was last month. I was giving solo custody. The biggest thing I don't like is the fact that when me, my lawyer, my ex, and his lawyer got to gether before the court date the lawyers decided with out my input to not ask for child support because my ex is out of work, and the courts ok it. What I can't figure out is why would they do this and not ask me what I wanted or though. The only answer I get when asking my lawyer why, is that because hes not working(going for SSI) that he would not be able to pay and would just be behind and such.

Any one got any idea what I can do bout it?
The first thing that comes to mind is the SSI. If he cannot work and is relying on the SSI it's going to be nigh on impossible for you to collect child support.

Can't get blood out of a turnip, y'know?

LdiJ

The first thing that comes to mind is the SSI. If he cannot work and is relying on the SSI it's going to be nigh on impossible for you to collect child support.

Can't get blood out of a turnip, y'know?
I agree. If he is going for SSI that implies that he is not just unemployed, but is unable to work.

However, that may not be a permanent situation. If he is gainfully employed in the future, you can file for child support, and you can do it through the CSE, you won't have to involve an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Truthfully your attorney NEVER should have agreed to that without your approval. You could have gotten a court order and arrears could have accrued against him so that he would owe you money.

jumac

Don't know if this will help but, I live in Maine and I pay child support and also have some injures that made me call ssi to ask bout applying and when i asked about child support they said that with a court order they would take it out of my ssi check if i was approved. I would take that to mean if OP ex was getting SSI that with a court order then she could get CS form him

Last edited:

LdiJ

Don't know if this will help but, I live in Maine and I pay child support and also have some injures that made me call ssi to ask bout applying and when i asked about child support they said that with a court order they would take it out of my ssi check if i was approved. I would take that to mean if OP ex was getting SSI that with a court order then she could get CS form him
I think you are confusing SSI and SSDI

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">