• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife Pregnant, threatening to leave America

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobertG

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife is Russian. She recently told me that she is pregnant and she is planning on leaving America in 3 months and moving back to Russia to have our baby there. What can I do to get this prevented?

moburkes

My wife is Russian. She recently told me that she is pregnant and she is planning on leaving America in 3 months and moving back to Russia to have our baby there. What can I do to get this prevented?
Hmmm. I'm not sure that you can do anything. Sorry. Hopefully, someone else can reply with better information. Good luck.

LdiJ

I am sorry, but there is absolutely nothing that you can do. You cannot stop her from leaving the country and returning to Russia.

RobertG

According to the INS, the Department of State has an entire division that handles this exact type of situation. Apparently, there IS a way of doing it, but I can't talk to them until morning.

Just Blue

According to the INS, the Department of State has an entire division that handles this exact type of situation. Apparently, there IS a way of doing it, but I can't talk to them until morning.
Provide the link.

A paternity test wouldn't be done until the child is born...unless the OB has to do another medical procedure such as an Amniocentesis a prenatal paternity test would be risky for the baby. A Doctor would never do it.

LdiJ

Even with a paternity test proving that he is the biological father, he cannot stop her from leaving the country. He is the presumed father anyway because they are married.

The US cannot force a foreign national, who has not committed a crime, from leaving the US. That would cause a huge international incident/scandal.

Seriously guys...think this one through. If the baby were already born that would be different.

Just Blue

Even with a paternity test proving that he is the biological father, he cannot stop her from leaving the country. He is the presumed father anyway because they are married.

The US cannot force a foreign national, who has not committed a crime, from leaving the US. That would cause a huge international incident/scandal.

Seriously guys...think this one through. If the baby were already born that would be different.
I know that...I just wanted to see the link that OP says would allow him to force her to stay...

LdiJ

I know that...I just wanted to see the link that OP says would allow him to force her to stay...
I don't think that he can provide one. I just did some searching myself, and I am pretty sure that anything he found referenced child abduction. Since the baby is not born, that does not apply.

Can you imagine the State Department having an entire division focused on preventing pregant women from leaving the country?:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">