• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's ex is not obeying custody order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KSBadboy30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife's ex is not obeying the custody order. They have joint custody and he has residental custody. He is now not letting her talk or see her daughter ( She is 8 yrs old). The court order state my wife gets her daughter every other weekend. My wife called the local Sheriff in town (we live an hour ago from her daughter)to do a welfare check on her daughter since she wasn't been able to speak to her daughter in days.

We cant afford an attorney right now but can my wife file a Motion For Contempt Pro Se in this matter?:confused:

Thank you for any advice.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife's ex is not obeying the custody order. They have joint custody and he has residental custody. He is now not letting her talk or see her daughter ( She is 8 yrs old). The court order state my wife gets her daughter every other weekend. My wife called the local Sheriff in town (we live an hour ago from her daughter)to do a welfare check on her daughter since she wasn't been able to speak to her daughter in days.

We cant afford an attorney right now but can my wife file a Motion For Contempt Pro Se in this matter?:confused:

Thank you for any advice.
Has Dad given a reason? What exactly is Mom's visitation schedule? Does Dad have any freedom over when Mom can pick up kiddo? How often has Dad refused?

Does the court order actually address telephone contact?

KSBadboy30

Dad has given no reason. Her visitation is every other weekend and certain holidays and any other time thats agreeable with both parties.

Proserpina

I don't know which county is relevant but take a look here:

Johnson County Kansas District Court Trustee - Pro Se Forms

If you're not in Johnson County, have your wife call the local court house and ask if that form is valid for her county, and if not, which forms she needs.

They'll be happy to tell her which forms but they will not tell her how to complete them, just so you know.

ETA: Holy cow, Kansas is really pretty fabulous - it seems virtually every county has pro se packets/forms available online, or at the very least a number to call to ask questions.

Last edited:

Proserpina

One other thing.

Does Dad have a reason to think you might be a danger to his child? The marijuana thing? Was that ever resolved?

(yes, it may matter)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">