• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will he have to pay? For how long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DelanaH

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

If my brother decided to leave his wife, what are the odds that he will have to pay allimony and for how long? Hey have been married for 7 years and have a 7 year old son. She has a 10 year old son from a previous marriage. She has worked for maybe a total of 1 year (off and on) though the marriage. She pretty much refuses to get a job because she has so much to to at the house, Yet the house is not clean and they eat out a lot because she has been too busy to get dinner ready. (Probably too busy eating bon bons and watching soaps.) Anyway**************...She is in good health and has had some dental assistant training and basic secretarial skills and she is 29 yrs old.

The question is************** how long would he have to pay alimony? And how is it calculated? I know how child support is calculated but how is alimony calculated?

LdiJ

DelanaH said:

If my brother decided to leave his wife, what are the odds that he will have to pay allimony and for how long? Hey have been married for 7 years and have a 7 year old son. She has a 10 year old son from a previous marriage. She has worked for maybe a total of 1 year (off and on) though the marriage. She pretty much refuses to get a job because she has so much to to at the house, Yet the house is not clean and they eat out a lot because she has been too busy to get dinner ready. (Probably too busy eating bon bons and watching soaps.) Anyway**************...She is in good health and has had some dental assistant training and basic secretarial skills and she is 29 yrs old.

The question is************** how long would he have to pay alimony? And how is it calculated? I know how child support is calculated but how is alimony calculated?
Its not guaranteed that he would have to pay alimony at all. However, if he does, it would be short term alimony, for a couple of years to help her get re-established in the work force, and/or maybe get some additional job training.

There is no set calculation for alimony.

Bali Hai

DelanaH said:

Alimony is not calculated. Look up the alimony laws of your state.

The issue is so complex that only a judge is given broad discretionary powers to decide such a matter.

JETX

DelanaH said:
If my brother decided to leave his wife, what are the odds that he will have to pay allimony and for how long?
Far too complex an issue to be answered with the very limited information you have provided. Simply, if the two parties can't agree to an amount and duration, the court will set them for them, if at all, based on lots of factors.

And how is it calculated?
There is no set formula for Oklahoma.

From a Oklahoma divorce site:
"In an Uncontested Divorce, Alimony may be awarded to either spouse for their support and maintenance after the divorce. Both parties must agree to it. Since most spouses are working, alimony (if awarded at all), is usually for a shorter period of time, and smaller amount than in the past. Alimony may be paid in a lump sum payment of money or a payment plan. Alimony is not required for a person to get divorced in Oklahoma."

DelanaH

Thanks for the info.... at least I know that it will be a short term thing. I am just assuming that he will have to pay because she hasn't and won't work.

My brother has a decent paying job... I would consider it an upper middle income.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

DelanaH said:
Thanks for the info.... at least *I know that it will be a shortterm thing. **I am just assuming that he will have to pay because she hasn't and won't work.

My brother has a decent paying job... I would consider it an upper middle income.
* You have no way of knowing that.

** Again, the judge will decide using this and many other factors. Each judge is different resulting in different outcomes.

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
* You have no way of knowing that.

** Again, the judge will decide using this and many other factors. Each judge is different resulting in different outcomes.
Well...she may have no way of knowing that...but I DO. There is no way that a 7 year marriage would ever result in anything more than short term alimony....if it results in any alimony at all.

She is 29 years old. :rolleyes:

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Well...she may have no way of knowing that...*but I DO. **There is no way that a 7 year marriage would ever result in anything more than short term alimony....***if it results in any alimony at all.

She is 29 years old. :rolleyes:
* Give us your knolwedge.

** Please explain "short term" please.

*** Could you qualify that statement for us please?

Nocgirl

Your brother needs an attorney. She might be awarded some sort of spousal support but it likely will be temporary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">