• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will the IRS know about a private sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lpxxfaintxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

I have recently sold my website for a good handsome figure. The money ($xx,xxx) has been wire transferred to my account. Will I need to file taxes on this? Will they even know about the money at all? Will they 'look' into my banking account?

Thanks!

LdiJ

Yes, they will know about it.

This is a sale of a capital asset and you almost assuredly have some basis in the asset, so you won't be paying tax on the entire amount, and what you will pay, will be capital gains tax.

Your basis is going to be whatever cost you had in developing the website.

lpxxfaintxx

Alright, thanks for the fast reply.

What if it's almost 99% all revenue?

I spent $100 developing this site, and I have just sold it for $62,000. I'm only 15, so this will be my first time filing taxes. Am I even legal to file taxes? :eek:

seniorjudge

I spent $100 developing this site, and I have just sold it for $62,000. I'm only 15, so this will be my first time filing taxes. Am I even legal to file taxes? :eek:
You got money, da guvmint wants it.

That's life, kid.

And, by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!:)

LdiJ

Yes, you are absolutely "legal" to file taxes. You need to have your parents go with you to see a tax professional ASAP, before you spend any of that money. You may have "kiddie tax" issues to deal with (the tax professional can explain that to you). Also, you may have more expenses than you realize that you have.

And huge congrats from me too. That is really something to be proud of.

BusyMom1967

Taxes

TO lpxxfaintxx;

As for the amount of expenses you have (I am not an attorney), let me give you an example;

My daughter made a little money Modeling:

Because she had to wear clean, NEW clothes at all auditions, we were able to claim some of here clothing, the milage back and forth to "sets" and auditions, hotel stays, part of my cell phone bill, part of my internt service, part of my computer, and because I am her manager we were also able to claim a small room in the house as a small office, which including a portion of the lights, water, ins, etc.

So, basically, she had NO final income.

Since you are a BUSINESS MAN and the IRS will look at you that way, your parent / yourself, will be able to some of the same deductions that I mentioned.

Your area that your computer is in is your office. I have found that typically when working out of your home, an 8*10 space is very rarely questioned by the IRS. So, depending on the size of your home, you would take the entire amount of the Sq footage of HEATED space and divide the total monthly mortage by the sq foot, then multipy that amount by the (8*10) space. That would give you your "rent" that you have on your "office". You do the same for your electricity, water, exterminating, possibly cell phone ...etc. And to get that much money from your site, did you pay for Google Adsense fees? Paypal fees? etc..

You will seriously need to talk to a GOOD CPA in your area. Ask the Chamber of Commerce, or the Small Business Adminstration in yoru town - Both of these can be found in your phone book for your town.

Also, do not only rely on CPA to no all the answers, you are a prime example of someone who looks out for themselves, google the IRS, they have tons of FREE resources on the internet - look up Kiddie tax, tax on small business, etc.

Look all over this following website -

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=118506,00.html

One piece of advice that I can give you that you must remember for the rest of your life. Fell free to ask everyone for help, but in the end, "YOU are totally reponsible to know where and how your money is being used". (HEE HEE ask Willy Nelson - You are young, you may want to google him)

And by the way - FABULOUS WORK!

Now get out there and write a book, I want to know all about what you did and I am willing to pay for it. Since you know alot about websites, write an e-book and market it on the web. Hire a great editor, and you will be well on your way for great riches!

lpxxfaintxx

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I appreciate it.

@BusyMom1967 - Thanks for your kind words, but there are tons of web entrepreneurs that are much better than I am. :cool:

seniorjudge

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I appreciate it.

@BusyMom1967 - Thanks for your kind words, but there are tons of web entrepreneurs that are much better than I am. :cool:
And get a tax CPA asap.

We don't want you writing your book in the prison library.

Can you say Wesley Snipes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">