• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will vs Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Utahman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My mother-in-law has a will but most of her assets are in a trust. Does the Will trump the Trust or vice versa?

DAD10

Including items in the will if any-the trust has beneficiaries that supersede the will for the purposes of said trust.

anteater

Thanks. So what good is a will if 90% of the assets are in a trust?
Well, for starters, what about the disposition of the 10% of assets that are not in the trust. And, after the trust is created and the initial asset transfer to the trust, people often acquire other assets and forget to title them in the name of the trust.

Often, in conjunction with creating a trust, what is known as a pourover will is also created. Such a will basically says, "Whatever I own that is not already in the trust gets dumped into the trust when I pass away."

curb1

Utahman,

You asked, "So what good is a will if 90% of the assets are in a trust?"

The will is to take care of the other 10% among other things. Many revocable trusts have an adjacent will.

Utahman

Thanks to everyone for your replies. One other question. My brother-in-law borrowed money from his father (now deseased) and signed a piece of paper that he would pay it back to the estate or have it deducted from his inheritance. Would it be easier for him to avoid this repayment or deduction if most all assets are held in a trust or executed by the will?

anteater

Other than having a ready-made legal forum for enforcement, if necessary, when a probate estate is opened, it should not make a difference. The executor or the trustee or one of the interested parties will have to bring the matter before the court if the borrower attempts to avoid repayment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">