• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawl from annuity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lykele

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

At the current time my wife and I have a joint variable annuity. Are there any consequences in changing it to a variable annuity in only my name?

Why? I am 62 years old and my wife is 54. My belief is if we took money out of this annuity now that half of it would be subject to a 10% federal tax penalty because she is not 59 1/2. My portion, because of my age, would not incur a penalty. Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong about that.

Thanks. Jim

seniorjudge

Lykele said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

At the current time my wife and I have a joint variable annuity. Are there any consequences in changing it to a variable annuity in only my name?

Why? I am 62 years old and my wife is 54. My belief is if we took money out of this annuity now that half of it would be subject to a 10% federal tax penalty because she is not 59 1/2. My portion, because of my age, would not incur a penalty. Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong about that.

Thanks. Jim
bump....

I'd like to know the answer also....

LdiJ

Well...in thinking this through there are no tax consequences in gifting property or assets between spouses, therefore there should be no tax consequences in your wife gifting her share of the annuity to you.

Lykele

Would that "gifting" have to adhere to the $12,000 limit as in gift tax?

Recently someone else suggested that the name and social security number reported with the distribution would determine who paid taxes and/or penalty. Does that hold any logic?

LdiJ

Lykele said:
Would that "gifting" have to adhere to the $12,000 limit as in gift tax?

Recently someone else suggested that the name and social security number reported with the distribution would determine who paid taxes and/or penalty. Does that hold any logic?
No....gifting between spouses has nothing to do with the 12k limit.

Yes, the name and SS# reported with the distribution determines tax consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">