• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding wages,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

somebizarredude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I hope this is the correct section since its paycheck related,
I am having a problem with my employer over shipping fees. I sold an item on ebay that was shipped to AU and due to an error the person made at the shipping desk, the customs fees($298) that the buyer was supposed to pay were charged to the company.
I told my boss that since all i did was supply them with a box and an address that it is not my fault and i refuse to pay.
I dont care if i get fired (i hate the place to begin with) but can they legally take it out of my check?
And if they do what should i do?

swalsh411

Employers in Texas must get your written permission before deducting anything from your wages except as required by law. (which would be taxes, child support, garnishments, etc). This certainly doesn't fall into that category. You can be fired, but they cannot take it out of your pay without your written permission. If they do you can file a complain with the TX workforce commission.

If you are fired, file for unemployment immediately while you look for a new job. Do not let them convince you that you do not qualify because you were fired for allegedly making a mistake.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

CSO286

Employers in Texas must get your written permission before deducting anything from your wages except as required by law. (which would be taxes, child support, garnishments, etc). This certainly doesn't fall into that category. You can be fired, but they cannot take it out of your pay without your written permission. If they do you can file a complain with the TX workforce commission.

If you are fired, file for unemployment immediately while you look for a new job. Do not let them convince you that you do not qualify because you were fired for allegedly making a mistake.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/
And do not let them tell you that unless you sign for the deduction, you won't be eligible for unemeployment.

somebizarredude

Thank you very much for the replies,
i thought that would be the case, but i wasnt sure.
I have been documenting everything so far
( but i am positive if i am let go they will use some other excuse)

after working here for almost 5 years i wont miss the new management one bit.
So thank you for easing my worries

commentator

File for unemployment if you are fired, regardless of the reason they give. Because they're pretty much restricted to picking out one definite reason that they fired you, for unemployment purposes, and if they can't show this was genuine misconduct on your part, they can't keep you from drawing unemployment benefits. Don't quit, though, no matter what they say or do. If they do try to dock your pay, but not fire you, call Wage and Hour and complain. This is illegal for them to do. But don't quit the job if you want to draw unemployment benefits while looking for the next one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">