• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won in small claims: looking for asset search firm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi,

On August 14, 2003 I successfully sued a contractor who was working on my kitchen cabinets for $5245.00 in small claims court and won, as you can imagine I have not seen any money from the contractor.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy online asset search company, doing a search on Google brings up way to many companies. I ask because I doubt he would actually put real info on an interrogatory.

Also, if I go after a bank that I think this guy has an account with do I have to serve the actual branch office he may be with or does serving one office cover all of them?

Is there any way for a common person to do this type of asset search themselves, or do I have to go through a firm?

Lastly, no where on the court forms does it list his SS#, is that required or is having his address and car/truck license number enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mitch

acmb05

check in your local phone book

Most any private detective agency will be bale to find any assstes he has. Some hidden assets will be difficult to find but it can be done. A private detective should be able to get his S.S fairly easily.

Look at the cost on both sides. If you use a private detective it is going to run you anywhere from 300.00 on up to 5 or 600.00.

If you use one of those online search places they are going to want a percentage of your judgement which is usually about 35% which in the long run wil cost you a minimum of 1200.00

In my opinion a private detective is the way to go.

You can also go to a site called searchsystems.net and type in the county of residence where he lives and do a property search on him. Then you can place a lien on his property.

Ideally he will own a few properties and have one up for sale. If that is the case place the lien on that property then he cant sell it till he pays the lien off.

Leinalani

mitchelt said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi,

On August 14, 2003 I successfully sued a contractor who was working on my kitchen cabinets for $5245.00 in small claims court and won, as you can imagine I have not seen any money from the contractor.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy online asset search company, doing a search on Google brings up way to many companies. I ask because I doubt he would actually put real info on an interrogatory.

Also, if I go after a bank that I think this guy has an account with do I have to serve the actual branch office he may be with or does serving one office cover all of them?

Is there any way for a common person to do this type of asset search themselves, or do I have to go through a firm?

Lastly, no where on the court forms does it list his SS#, is that required or is having his address and car/truck license number enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mitch
First question, Mitch, did you sue him personally or his company?

mitchelt said:
It's better to serve the main branch in your area. They would have the most information and would probably house the department that deals with account garnishments.

mitchelt said:
Many people do these on their own. Other options would be to consider a "Debtor's Hearing" which would involve some fees and such and some other people on these forums don't recommend them. For this, you'd have to go back to court, serve him, have him appear (maybe) then see what assets he does have. If he doesn't appear, then you can go ahead and pay for a warrant that might be good for about 6 months since he'll be in contempt of court. But police enforcement rarely make the effort to go out and find these people. They're really on the bottom of the list on whom to be arresting.

Then those costs incurred can not be recooped.

If you know what business he runs, see what assets he has like cars and such. And if you already paid him before suing him, look for that cancelled check and it should have his bank info on there.

mitchelt said:
You don't need his SS# nor are you required to have it. If you sued his place of business, you wouldn't need his SS#. If you know where he works, you can see if he's the owner of the building housing his business and maybe place a lien on it.

At this point I believe that going after his bank accounts is the easiest option. Look into that.

dcatz

Originally Posted by mitchelt
Just call the bank and ask, because the answer could be either, and the bank will tell you. Your state permits branch banking, so it may be necessary to serve the specific branch or, if the institution is "branchless" in your state, you can serve any branch. You would handle a subpoena for records the same way.

Either way, if your debtor has a common name or the account is maintained other than as you levy - eg. levy on "Joe Smith"-account as "Josesph E. Smith" - and you don't have an account number, you can't blame the bank if it reports "no funds".

dcatz

Originally Posted by Leinalani
Then those costs incurred can not be recooped.
Post-judgment enforcement costs, for measures permitted by statute, can be recouped. The cost of a debtor hearing or getting a writ or recording an Abstract etc. can be recouped. The cost of an investigator could not be.

Originally Posted by Leinalani
You don't need his SS# nor are you required to have it.
True, but, if you have it, it is likely to improve your prospects for recovery. Especially, as noted, if your debtor has a common name and/or you have little additional information.

stephenk

check with the state contractor's board and find out if he was bonded. If he was bonded, just submit your judgment to the carrier for payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">