• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't give work address. How do I get it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majebe

Illinois

My x-husband has changed jobs and won't give me his new work information. Support is supposed to come directly out of his pay check, but doesn't. (court ordered!) He issues his own checks, which have been sporatic and inconsistant. Does anyone have any idea how I can find out his work address? What are my rights? What to do?

Thank you.

S

smh33

Look up your state laws. If check garnished...court should have sent papers straight to employer..if he changed jobs since...most wage garnishments require person to notify court of any change...being thats where they would look for one behind. Employer is required to garnish but is support payors responsibility to be sure employer and courts have accurate info & being done correctly. Call clerk of courts office,explain...should just have to file a motion of contempt or similar. Ex will have to explain slack to judge...support order is not answerable to you but to court...may not give you address(stupid if doesn't) but probably is required to inform court. Hangman.

tigger22472

I agree about going to your clerks office. I'm assuming you know his home address. What they will most probably do is send either a letter to his home stating he has so many days to let either the courts know his employers name and address or to inform his employer that he is to pay child support from his check. If he does neither then they will most probably issue a court hearing in which he will have to explain things and at that time either issue the information they want or face punishment.

majebe

So I could just call the clerks office and they will handle it? That way it looks like they are asking for the work information and not me? Sounds too easy!

tigger22472

no it's not that easy. You call the clerks office in the child support division. Here in my state it takes up to 2-3 months to even get into the office for an interview. At that point you give them his home address. Then it could take at LEAST another 2-3 months before anything is actually done. Every state is different but this is what I've been through

S

smh33

Ha,ha..you are right,it is never that easy. That's just probably best place to start...ask how it all works. As I understand it,atleast my state...employer can't just garnish wage because person says to,has no right to one's money so employer needs court order to garnish so legal to do,plus I would think CSS would need to let employer know how to do & where to send $????
If your order is that his wage to be garnished I would think that would require informing court of your job, not to mention he should tell you...how could you contact him if needed too? Our support order states must keep court informed, condition of order. If he is sending checks to you,seems where ever the wage garnish $ was being sent should have noticed not getting anymore? Court can issue ex summons to appear and give info..if can serve ...u have address? Anyway,clerk of courts should be able to tell you procedure to handle this....I seen posts though in some states the burden seems to be on one seeking support to get all started and to provide info on ex,such as work,address,etc...kinda hard if you don't have,thought that was what CSS was for???????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">