• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voyweiser

Colorado

Hello,

I recently got into an altercation with my supervisor, we work in a warehouse and I complained that the heater isnt working and she said that only dummies are cold. I immediately complained to her boss and both of us were in the office and basically my supervisor denied saying that. Now, my supervisor isnt calling me to come to work and all the other employees are. I feel that she is discriminating against be because I told on her using profanity. Also, my mother used to work there and she didnt have her ssn yet but was allowed to work and my supervisor gave my mom her net pay but put the taxable amount on my check using my ssn until my mother got her ssn and she can change it back. I was wondering what I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can keep your head down and keep out of altercations with your supervisor. "Discriminating" against you because you complained about her is perfectly legal.

I'll let one of the payroll people address your payroll fraud.

voyweiser

why is it perfectly legal to discriminate against me if i complained about her using profanity and basically calling the workers dummies?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because "people who complain about their supervisors using profanity and calling them dummies" are not a group protected by law.

voyweiser

How about a superivisor who constantly yells at employee's belittling them and making them feel like they are less than a person only because she knows that they dont speak english very well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry. Yelling at employees and belittling them is not professional but it's not illegal either.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Illegal is when you are treated poorly BECAUSE of your membership in a group protected by law.

Hot Topic

You're looking for reasons to get her in trouble. Sounds like you need to do a little growing up. This is not high school where you get on Facebook and "diss" someone you don't like.

applecruncher

making them feel like they are less than a person only
Neither your supervisor nor anyone else can make you feel anything. How you feel about yourself is up to you. You choose how to feel. You need to toughen up and improve your self esteem.

pattytx

OK, I'm the payroll people.

Is your mother authorized to work in the U.S. and she just hasn't received her SSN yet?

This is really an uneducated payroll person. IF her SSN is pending, they set her up as herself, with an SSN of all zeroes. If this is not corrected by the time you get your W-2, you go to payroll and tell them your W-2 is incorrect, because it includes wages and taxes that applicable to your mother's pay and not yours. Then if they don't correct it, you contact the IRS.

In the meantime, this means that your mother's wages are also being reported as yours for unemployment purposes. They'd better amend the wage reports when she gets her SSN and reports it to payroll, or she's going to have a HUGE uphill battle if she needs to file for unemployment some time in the future.

It's not fraud, exactly, it's just stupid. And it can still be corrected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">