• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Due to my knee injury from a fall at work I currently have a work restriction that says that I may not sit, stand or walk for more than 2 hours at a time. I must then take 20 minutes doing something else to rest my leg. Last week I ran into an issue where my manager asked me to please just wait until someone got back into the store so they could take over my responsibilities. He knows about my work restriction and makes the schedule, he also knew at what time I would need my break and knew that time would be super busy and could have asked me to take a break sooner or scheduled me more appropriately. Is it legal to require me to do something specifically against my doctor's orders? If not, can I get in any trouble for refusing? My doctor said we'll make a decision about surgery at my next appt. in 2 1/2 weeks, I have no desire to do anything at all that will increase the likelyhood of being cut open.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Outside of FMLA, a doctor's note has no force in law. How much time are we actually talking about here?

If you are asking how much time over the two hours, there was no way to know when he asked me how long it would be. I work at a pizza place, so he wanted me to wait for a particular driver to get back which could be 5 minutes, could be an hour.

As to time missed from work, I've been missing 20 minutes of work every 2 hours. It adds up to a lot of time missed from work and pretty quickly too. I have talked to the worker's comp company about TPD and they are "looking into it." It's been a week though, I think another phone call is due on Monday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">