• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would like to sell 3-5 page summary/synopsis of a book. Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobrakai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington Hello, I was listening to a popular podcast and it gave an idea of selling a summary/synopsis of a e-book(s) on Amazon.com "The Secret" is purely an example, but this is how it would work. I write a 3-5 page summary of "The Secret" and sell it as an e-book on Amazon. Is this legal? What sort of permissions do I need to get from an author(s)/publisher? Thank you very much for your help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington Hello, I was listening to a popular podcast and it gave an idea of selling a summary/synopsis of a e-book(s) on Amazon.com "The Secret" is purely an example, but this is how it would work. I write a 3-5 page summary of "The Secret" and sell it as an e-book on Amazon. Is this legal? What sort of permissions do I need to get from an author(s)/publisher? Thank you very much for your help.
Do you mean you wish to write a review of the book, or do you intend to summarize the entire book, including the ending?

One, if done within certain guidelines, is fine - with or without permission of the author/publisher. The other, if it affects the value of the book and its market, is (often) not so fine.

But facts matter.

You can do what you want to with works in the public domain. For example, you can summarize any book from 1923 or before. And there are some fair use exceptions that can apply to other texts, that include certain educational uses of copyrighted material.

Can you provide more details?

DylansDad

Do you mean you wish to write a review of the book, or do you intend to summarize the entire book, including the ending?

One, if done within certain guidelines, is fine - with or without permission of the author/publisher. The other, if it affects the value of the book and its market, is (often) not so fine.

But facts matter.

You can do what you want to with works in the public domain. For example, you can summarize any book from 1923 or before. And there are some fair use exceptions that can apply to other texts, that include certain educational uses of copyrighted material.

Can you provide more details?
Basically along the lines of a Cliff's Notes version of a book. 3-5 pages: Summary, important characters, themes, ending, etc.

DylansDad

Are you cobrakai? If so, why are you using two different user names?
I made one of these a long time ago, couldn't remember the username so made a new one at some point. No idea why it is switching back and forth?
I'm cobrakai/DylansDad.
I have nothing to hide. If you want to delete one of the names go ahead.

quincy

I made one of these a long time ago, couldn't remember the username so made a new one at some point. No idea why it is switching back and forth?
I'm cobrakai/DylansDad.
I have nothing to hide. If you want to delete one of the names go ahead.
Hmmm. When you log in, you log in using the user name that connects to your FA account, and you enter a password. There should be no "switching back and forth" unless the user is doing the switching.

But thanks for explaining the two different names being used by you in this thread.

For an earlier discussion on this forum of the same issue you are asking about here, you can click on the following link: https://forum.freeadvice.com/copyrights-trademarks-39/does-cliff-notes-infringe-copyrights-owned-f-scott-fitzgeralds-estate-518514.html.

Cliff's Notes is now owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co. and this company has a team of lawyers who ensure as much as is possible that no Notes published infringes on an author's rights. For newer works, this can mean licensing rights. But many of the study guides cover books that are no longer protected by copyrights. In addition, fair use under the copyright law favors educational uses of copyrighted material.

It is important to note that all of the various Notes have been sued in the past so it will be important for you to review the specific summaries with an IP attorney in your area prior to thoughts of publication. Creating a Cliff's Notes type of guide for newer works is definitely risky.

Finally, you are far from a "nobody," DylansDad, if you are a navy veteran. Thank you for your service to this country.

Last edited:

DylansDad

Hmmm. When you log in, you log in using the user name that connects to your FA account, and you enter a password. There should be no "switching back and forth" unless the user is doing the switching.

But thanks for explaining the two different names being used by you in this thread.

For an earlier discussion on this forum of the same issue you are asking about here, you can click on the following link: https://forum.freeadvice.com/copyrights-trademarks-39/does-cliff-notes-infringe-copyrights-owned-f-scott-fitzgeralds-estate-518514.html.

Cliff's Notes is now owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co. and this company has a team of lawyers who ensure as much as is possible that no Notes published infringes on an author's rights. For newer works, this can mean licensing rights. But many of the study guides cover books that are no longer protected by copyrights. In addition, fair use under the copyright law favors educational uses of copyrighted material.

It is important to note that all of the various Notes have been sued in the past so it will be important for you to review the specific summaries with an IP attorney in your area prior to thoughts of publication. Creating a Cliff's Notes type of guide for newer works is definitely risky.

Finally, you are far from a "nobody," DylansDad, if you are a navy veteran. Thank you for your service to this country.
Thank you very much for the time. I definitely won't be working on that endeavor. Too risky for sure.

quincy

Thank you very much for the time. I definitely won't be working on that endeavor. Too risky for sure.
It does have its risks. :)

If you like to read and write, though, you could find a market for book reviews (for example, for magazines or newspapers). Something to consider, at any rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">