• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would this disqualify me from recieving unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikonian

What is the name of your state? california

I was terminated for swearing on two occasions over 3.5yrs of work in a retail sales position. It was not abusive or toward an individual, I just slipped and let it out.

I'm actively seeking work now, but will need to apply for UI and am worried this will prevent me from receiving it.

I apologize for asking, I just didn't know if there was leeway of any sort.

CraigFL

Not likely. Generally, you would need to be really incompetant at your job to not get unemployment. Of course what I tell you is what would probably be in the end. This does not mean your employer can express a different view on the information sheet they will receive from unemplyment compensation...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Minor correction to CraigFL - generally, poor performance does not lead to disqualification; it's misconduct that does.

I do agree, however, that this is unlikely to reach a level of misconduct that will disqualify you.

Beth3

Generally, you would need to be really incompetant at your job to not get unemployment. Incompetence is NOT a disqualifying reason for UC benefits, unless the employer can demonstrate that the employee KNEW how to do the job properly and chose not to do it.

Poster, we don't know any of the specific circumstances that lead to your being terminated and those matter a lot when it comes to whether the State will grant UC benefits. You should just apply and see whether your actions are deemed "willful misconduct."

Betty

Since you were terminated/fired, you may or may not get unemployment benefits. The Ca. Employment Dev. Dept. will review all infor re your termination from you & your employer & then make a decision.

Betty

cbg & Beth - we were typing our replies/posts at the same time but you two submitted yours off before me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">