• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing A Brief. Preliminary statement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JLJ1974

What is the name of your state (NJ)

Call me dumb, but I'm about to write a brief in 24hrs. I appealed an alimony award and my trial was 2 days. Transcripts are 111 pages long and the most important parts are obviously at the end. Read through it and received a sample brief from the appellate division. Seems simple enough, but in the instructions it speaks of 'Any Preliminary statement' shall not exceed 3 pages. However, I didn't see this in the example brief.

Umm...what would a preliminary statement be and does it have anything to do with an appeal to simply modify?

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (NJ)

Call me dumb, but I'm about to write a brief in 24hrs. I appealed an alimony award and my trial was 2 days. Transcripts are 111 pages long and the most important parts are obviously at the end. Read through it and received a sample brief from the appellate division. Seems simple enough, but in the instructions it speaks of 'Any Preliminary statement' shall not exceed 3 pages. However, I didn't see this in the example brief.

Umm...what would a preliminary statement be and does it have anything to do with an appeal to simply modify?

Thanks
You are completely in over your head. The most important parts may not be the OBVIOUS parts. What caselaw do you have that you are going to cite? If you can't figure out how you are supposed to write a preliminary part, you have issues. Also considering that 1 minute of trial equates to about 1 page of transcript are you sure you got everything? Because according to my calculations you have only about two hours of testimony. Did you order the transcript of the trial in its entirety?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">