• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong address= no statements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angiecarley

What is the name of your state? GA
I applied for $1500 credit with GE Money Bank. They disregarded the address given on the application and used one from a previous application 10 years ago.
In Oct, 07, I agreed to pay $45 a month and then pay it off at Christmas 08 to recieve their interest free promotion.
I didnt get the first statement til late January, saying that I was on the verge of being 3 months behind. The only thing they would offer me was to take off the late charges but I would still have to pay for the full 3 months at one time.
I demanded that they reset my account from the beginning and was given the run around for 2 months.
I sent a letter and filed a formal dispute when they said they never got the letter. Its been 3 weeks and they still dont have either, and now they say the dispute form i sent was not correct for my dispute.
Now they are willing to start me back at the first payment, but say the time period for interest free borrowing has passed. That's hundreds of dollars that I am not willing to pay for their mistake.
I am guessing that the original contract was never any good, since my contract and theirs did not match.
Can anyone help me with this?GA

racer72

The road you are running on runs both ways. When you did not get a statement in a timely manner, did you contact the credit card company? You have to take some of the blame too, the offer presented appears to be a fair offer.

angiecarley

Yes, i contacted them right away. they said the only thing they could do was remove the fees. I am on a small disability income. there was no way I could afford to for 3 months at one time. Besides, it was there error. I didnt see why I should have to pay for it.
It didnt seem like I was asking so much, so I wrote my concerns to the general office. and like I said they never got it.
thank you for taking the time to help.

angiecarley

The road you are running on runs both ways. When you did not get a statement in a timely manner, did you contact the credit card company? You have to take some of the blame too, the offer presented appears to be a fair offer.
I dont consider getting my first statement 3 months late a timely manner.

angiecarley

And how is it that I should take some of the blame? I have been working for 3 months trying to resolve this.

paying the bill is YOUR responsibility. you knowingly entered into an agreement to pay $45 every month until Xmas '08; where you would pay off the balance. however you did receive a letter saying you were 3 months past due at your current address (according to your post) so the address excuse isn't going to fly. if you didn't get the bill for the first month, YOU should've called the CC company asked the whereabouts of the bill or made a payment over the telephone. You had options. The CC company removing the late charges is good enough. They're being fair as should you. You owe them 3 months of payments in one lump sum. Pay the CC company and should your statement not come again, make a phone call.

VeronicaLodge

if you agreed to pay 45 a month in October and didn't get a bill, why didn't you at least put 45 aside each month until you got it resolved? then you would have the 3 months to pay in full now.

angiecarley

if you agreed to pay 45 a month in October and didn't get a bill, why didn't you at least put 45 aside each month until you got it resolved? then you would have the 3 months to pay in full now.
I have done that. Paying what is owed is not the problem now. Because of everything that has happened I will no longer be recieving the loan interest free. That's like $300 I have to pay because of the company's neglect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have done that. Paying what is owed is not the problem now. Because of everything that has happened I will no longer be recieving the loan interest free. That's like $300 I have to pay because of the company's neglect.
I see plenty of neglect on YOUR end too. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your debts are paid, as agreed. That's the point you seem to be missing.

The only thing they would offer me was to take off the late charges but I would still have to pay for the full 3 months at one time.
The only thing? That's fairly generous of them since you are certainly at fault for not paying regardless of whether or not you received a bill.

I demanded that they reset my account from the beginning and was given the run around for 2 months.
That is an unreasonable demand. A mailed bill does not determine when you need to make payments. Your contract determines when you need to make payments. Receiving a bill is just a courtesy to alert you that your due date is nearing.

I'd say you're 100% at fault for your situation. Later in this thread you claim that you put aside your monthly payments, and that paying what is owed is not a problem. If that were the case, then why on earth didn't you accept the creditor's offer to pay the first 3 months in full with the late fees being waived?

Regardless, I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on.

angiecarley

Thank you for the advice. I see that i was clearly in the wrong for not looking into it when i didnt recieve a statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">