• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong license plate number on 3 tickets, Can I escape? Please help, its expensive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

its_me

I am from Seattle, Washington. I got three tickets for three diff reasons on 28th Dec, 2005. Parking, improper license plate display and one more, I dont remember. I sent them back wanting a hearing and wrote a nice long letter explaining why i shouldnt be given the tickets. I gave my license number and ofcourse address and stuff.

After I came back dropping the letter at the post office, I saw the ticket again and the license plate number on the ticket was not mine. The officer had mixed up M and W.

So, now I have a hearing date on 2nd Feb. What can i do? How can I escape? I am sure they cant push the ticket on me since its not my cars license plate. How do I escape. What do I do? What happens if I just dont go for the trial at all. The ticket says of I dont appear for, they will consider I have given up and if I dont pay my license plate ( which is not mine ) will not be renewed and the court may refer a collection agency.

I am wondering whether they will send the agency after me or after whoever owns the license plate who ofcourse will have a different car than mine and he can prove the ticket was wrong. Also, what about the long letter I wrote, how can I avoid that? What do I do? Please help. I am a poor college student.

Oh Also...I called them up and they had nothing on my license plate. They dont have it on the records.

Last edited:

Neal1421

its_me said:
I am from Seattle, Washington. I got three tickets for three diff reasons on 28th Dec, 2005. Parking, improper license plate display and one more, I dont remember. I sent them back wanting a hearing and wrote a nice long letter explaining why i shouldnt be given the tickets. I gave my license number and ofcourse address and stuff.

After I came back dropping the letter at the post office, I saw the ticket again and the license plate number on the ticket was not mine. The officer had mixed up M and W.

So, now I have a hearing date on 2nd Feb. What can i do? How can I escape? I am sure they cant push the ticket on me since its not my cars license plate. How do I escape. What do I do? What happens if I just dont go for the trial at all. The ticket says of I dont appear for, they will consider I have given up and if I dont pay my license plate ( which is not mine ) will not be renewed and the court may refer a collection agency.

I am wondering whether they will send the agency after me or after whoever owns the license plate who ofcourse will have a different car than mine and he can prove the ticket was wrong. Also, what about the long letter I wrote, how can I avoid that? What do I do? Please help. I am a poor college student.

Oh Also...I called them up and they had nothing on my license plate. They dont have it on the records.
I don't think anyone here is going to help you "escape" a ticket that you do legally owe.

Sorry

its_me

How can they correct the error. I verified with the DMV and there is already a car with that number. How will they know its my car that was parked there if I tell them I dont have a car at all?

Neal1421

its_me said:
How can they correct the error. I verified with the DMV and there is already a car with that number. How will they know its my car that was parked there if I tell them I dont have a car at all?
Based on your initial post, you sent them a letter with your address and license number, that's how they will know. Was the letter actually sent?

Is your car registered to you?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
its_me said:

Good... Commit perjury then instead of a fine you can go to jail. Wonderful idea. I'll be watching for your entry into the Darwin awards in the near future. :rolleyes:

its_me

Ok. I checked the tickets properly. All three tickets are for improper license display. Can they do that. Give three tickets for the same reason in 2 hrs interval. and $58 each, thass crazy.

Also when I called them up and told them that I do have my license displayed behind the windshield, they said windshield is not the front of the car. I dont know if its written somewhere that you cant have your license plate stuck to your windshield.

To answer some questions, yeah the letter did get sent and they did receive the letter.

Yes, they also have my address and license number and also the car IS registered on my name.

If I goto the court and just say that the ticket is not mine, do you think they will verify what car I have registered on my name ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
its_me said:
Ok. I checked the tickets properly. All three tickets are for improper license display. Can they do that. Give three tickets for the same reason in 2 hrs interval. and $58 each, thass crazy.

Also when I called them up and told them that I do have my license displayed behind the windshield, they said windshield is not the front of the car. I dont know if its written somewhere that you cant have your license plate stuck to your windshield.

To answer some questions, yeah the letter did get sent and they did receive the letter.

Yes, they also have my address and license number and also the car IS registered on my name.

If I goto the court and just say that the ticket is not mine, do you think they will verify what car I have registered on my name ?
You know what -- if you want to go and lie, go and lie. You really don't get it. They will verify what happened. They will ask you questions about the tickets and how you got them. If you lie at all, you will get into trouble. Perjury means jail. TELL THE TRUTH.

Neal1421

its_me said:

Sweetie, what part of "they will find you" don't you understand? One of your posts said that the only thing that was wrong with the license number was and "W" instead of an "M". It's not that hard to figure it out since they have your name, address, license number and the fact that your car is registered to you. Any idiot could put 2 and 2 together.

Tell the truth, pay the fines and more importantly, MOVE ON.

Have a nice day.

sukharev

Well, they did whatever it takes to get your attention. Now, it's your turn to work it out and become a good citizen.

Here is what you do: go to the hearing, and show a picture of your car with proper plates in proper spaces. Then just say you are sorry, and are willing to pay a fine, but 3 tickets indeed is too harsh. See if they dismiss 2 and let you pay for just 1.

its_me

Thanks to everyone who replied. This has kept me from a Perjury. Thanks much.

I have two more questions though.

1. Should I try to get outta the ticket by showin my honesty ( instead of my foolishness ). Can I tell the magistrate that I have been honest enough to send the ticket back even. I mean there was not way that they could have got to me if I had not mailed the ticket and thrown it back. Would it be wise to bring this up?

2. Thanks for sending the link that shows the link to proper license display. I am just thinkin eben if my license was not in front it still is not breakin the law ( license plate should be between 1 feet to 4 feet from the ground ) which is the case with my license plate display. Shudnt I be not given the ticket.

Amit

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
its_me said:
Thanks to everyone who replied. This has kept me from a Perjury. Thanks much.

I have two more questions though.

1. Should I try to get outta the ticket by showin my honesty ( instead of my foolishness ). Can I tell the magistrate that I have been honest enough to send the ticket back even. I mean there was not way that they could have got to me if I had not mailed the ticket and thrown it back. Would it be wise to bring this up?

You want to get out of a ticket by saying you were honest enough to follow the law in regards to the ticket? That is NOT going to work. You are expected to follow the law and be honest. So saying, hey judge, I was honest and truthful and didn't lie even though I wanted to, is not going to win you points.

2. Thanks for sending the link that shows the link to proper license display. I am just thinkin eben if my license was not in front it still is not breakin the law ( license plate should be between 1 feet to 4 feet from the ground ) which is the case with my license plate display. Shudnt I be not given the ticket.

No. That is not a valid argument.

Amit
See above.

racer72

its_me said:
That is the exact reason the law states that the plates will be on the front and back of the vehicle, not behind the windshield. Your thinkin is wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">