• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful death next step...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clf495

What is the name of your state? MO

I'm going to try to be brief ... My fathers car was hit by tractor trailer earlier this year and he died from injuries later the same day. The truck was making a left turn into gas station and didnt see dads car. I was told last week the driver got a ticket for failure to yield, went to trial and found guilty. He had $161 fine. I am suing the truck company(canada) for wrongful death. How will this reflect on wrongful death case?
Also...is it possible to drop lawyer and handle "mediation" on your own? If so, any links to help me would be appreciated

DelanaH

I know I am completely out of line but**************.... Do you think the truck driver did it on purpose? Doubt it!! Sounds to me like you are just money hungry. It was an accident not intentional.

seniorjudge

clf495 said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I'm going to try to be brief ... My fathers car was hit by tractor trailer earlier this year and he died from injuries later the same day. The truck was making a left turn into gas station and didnt see dads car. I was told last week the driver got a ticket for failure to yield, went to trial and found guilty. He had $161 fine. I am suing the truck company(canada) for wrongful death. How will this reflect on wrongful death case?
Also...is it possible to drop lawyer and handle "mediation" on your own? If so, any links to help me would be appreciated
I strongly urge you to get a lawyer.

Go to a personal injury lawyer with the accident report from the Missouri Highway Patrol and any other police reports you can get.

The lawyer won't charge you anything unless he takes the case.

Do NOT go to mediation by yourself...the sharks are waiting for you.

racer72

DelanaH, what a moron. Wrongful death has absolutely nothing to do with doing something on purpose, the truck driver was negligent and took a life. That is worth suing over. Go climb back under your rock.

To the OP, you better read the agreement with the attorney you want to dump, especially if the case was accepted on a contingency basis. Even if you fired him today, he will still be entitled to a portion of any settlement, it could be up to the contract limits. If you plan is for a bigger portion of a settlement heading your way, it may not work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">