• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination / lost wage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, past employers are not supposed to give any info about your employment other than:acknowledge that you worked there, your title and dates of employment~

Sorry, Jaimie, but that is not true. There is no such law in any state. It is a common belief, but there is no factual basis to it whatsoever. And if anyone is telling you otherwise, challenge them to show you the law or provide you with the statute number. You'll find that they can't - because there is none.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Uh-huh. THere are links on the internet saying just about anything you care to mention - doesn't mean all of it is true.

Besides, please show me where on that site it says that an employer is legally prohibited from giving anything but dates of employment.

YOU are the one who isn't getting the picture. No one is saying that an employer who gives false information can't be sued; we're saying that a negative, but true, reference is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">