• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X is screwing me over again!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rushia

NY

Ok guys, help me out here. The other day I received a letter from a collection agency for two unpaid copays for a local hospital. I have never seen this bill before in my life. Upon calling the agency, I discovered that the supposed dates of service were on 9/11/03 and 9/30/03. I KNOW that I was not there on those dates. The agency stated that it was ME who showed. I sent the letter of dispute. Unfortunetly, I am under the firm belief that under investigation it will come back that my X visited the hospital on those dates and since the insurance is in my name I am the one who is now in trouble for this debt. He knew the divorce was granted in court on 8/14/03, but the decree was not received by us until 11/19/03.

If in fact it was my X who was in the hospital on those dates, can I sue him for the unpaid copay as he very well knew that shortly he would be kicked off of the insurance. Do I even have a case?

BL

Rushia said:
NY

Ok guys, help me out here. The other day I received a letter from a collection agency for two unpaid copays for a local hospital. I have never seen this bill before in my life. Upon calling the agency, I discovered that the supposed dates of service were on 9/11/03 and 9/30/03. I KNOW that I was not there on those dates. The agency stated that it was ME who showed. I sent the letter of dispute. Unfortunetly, I am under the firm belief that under investigation it will come back that my X visited the hospital on those dates and since the insurance is in my name I am the one who is now in trouble for this debt. He knew the divorce was granted in court on 8/14/03, but the decree was not received by us until 11/19/03.

If in fact it was my X who was in the hospital on those dates, can I sue him for the unpaid copay as he very well knew that shortly he would be kicked off of the insurance. Do I even have a case?
Depending on the Co pay , prove & sue .

ENASNI

hmmm

Q:

This poses a good question... You are the subscriber, he was dependent?

You sent letter of dispute, Can you get original bills and try from there?
Is this a job for Ladyinred or Debtguy... or someone from the Medical forum?

Can you get someone to put a hit on this guy... no wait you want your children to love their father... but the man owes you a lousy $50.00 in child support and then this is laid on you.

Oy.. Well... sorry dear Rushia.. no answers, but I bumped you up...

stephenk

they believe you were at the hospital instead of your ex-husband? Do people easily confuse the two of you?

Request in writing that the collection agency validate the debt. Have them provide the proof that you were at the hospital and not your ex.

Rushia

ENASNI said:
Q:

This poses a good question... You are the subscriber, he was dependent?

You sent letter of dispute, Can you get original bills and try from there?
Is this a job for Ladyinred or Debtguy... or someone from the Medical forum?

Can you get someone to put a hit on this guy... no wait you want your children to love their father... but the man owes you a lousy $50.00 in child support and then this is laid on you.

Oy.. Well... sorry dear Rushia.. no answers, but I bumped you up...

HI MOM

Yes, I am the subsciber and he was a dependent.

Yes, I sent a letter of dispute. The collection agency is supposed to investigate and send me any and all original bills.

Yeah, 50 a month for CS (which I never see), whopee, and now I think he stuck me hospital bills.

Rushia

stephenk said:
they believe you were at the hospital instead of your ex-husband? Do people easily confuse the two of you?

Request in writing that the collection agency validate the debt. Have them provide the proof that you were at the hospital and not your ex.
LOL!!! No. All the collection agency has is my information as I am the insurance holder.

I have requested the information. I believe that the bills may come back that my X went to the hospital and not me. What bothers me is that the agency says that I was in the hospital on the dates in my original post. If it comes back that it was me, well that's a whole different story. Then I will be in the Fraud forum, cause I am pretty sure that I worked on those dates and will be able to prove I was at work on those dates. If they tell me it was a female, then chance will be that his current SO went to the hospital and claimed to be me. For now, though, I choose to believe that my X went and the agency just doesn't have the whole story. That is the information I am going on for now. If it was him, then chances are the hospital was sending him the bill and as he hasn't paid it, they have decided to come after the policy holder.

nanomug

As the subscriber you are responsible to the doctor, hospital and collection agency. You can sue him for reimbursement. Having been through a 3 year ordeal over insurance payments and providers refusing to talk to each other, I have learned pay the bill and fight later. By not paying, my credit was impaired. However, in the early stages of collection, they are often willing to make a deal: take it off the credit report in exchange for paying immediately. Make sure that this agreement is in writing (fax and e-mail ok) prior to paying. Even if they wont make a deal paying ends the reporting by the collection agency and your credit can improve. I tend to be self righteous about these things and it cost me more in the long run by having a lowered credit score.

Rushia

nanomug said:
As the subscriber you are responsible to the doctor, hospital and collection agency. You can sue him for reimbursement. Having been through a 3 year ordeal over insurance payments and providers refusing to talk to each other, I have learned pay the bill and fight later. By not paying, my credit was impaired. However, in the early stages of collection, they are often willing to make a deal: take it off the credit report in exchange for paying immediately. Make sure that this agreement is in writing (fax and e-mail ok) prior to paying. Even if they wont make a deal paying ends the reporting by the collection agency and your credit can improve. I tend to be self righteous about these things and it cost me more in the long run by having a lowered credit score.
Well, I understand that if it comes back that my x was there I have to pay it. I am asking if I even have a standing to sue if this is the case. The only reason I have sent the dispute letter is to clarify things. The agency believes that it was me in the hospital and I believe that it was my x.

BL

Rushia said:
Well, I understand that if it comes back that my x was there I have to pay it. I am asking if I even have a standing to sue if this is the case. The only reason I have sent the dispute letter is to clarify things. The agency believes that it was me in the hospital and I believe that it was my x.
Believing is not enough . Proof is . Pay the Bills , get Proof , and sue the X .

Rushia

Blonde Lebinese said:
Believing is not enough . Proof is . Pay the Bills , get Proof , and sue the X .
I sent a letter of dispute.

If it comes back as x was in the hospital, then I will pay it and sue him for reimbursement.

If it comes back that it was me, then there's going to be a problem. I KNOW I was not there on those dates, and most likely that it was x's gf posing as me to get treatment. I should be able to easily prove the fact that it's not me. One of those dates, I worked all day (I had two jobs at the time), and the other, if it's during day hours I can prove that I was at work. If this is the case then I doubt I'll have to worry cause the insurance co is gonna be all over them for fraud. :D

I'll wait until the results come back from the collection agency. I just wanted to know if I had any case due to the fact we were still technically married and I couldn't get him off of my insurance until we had the divorce papers.

Rushia

Update

I finally got some answers. Both dates given to me by the agency were incorrect. One of the dates was for me and the other for 3/27/03. The March date proven to be my x in the hospital. At that time we had been seperated for a year and I filed for divorce in that week. I believe that I never saw this bill as my x was intercepting some of my mail. He knew that the divorce was filed and when the divorce was final the decree states that: "ORDERED, ADJUDGED and DECREED, that each party shall be solely responsible for any debt in their respective names, and each will hold the other harmless from any liability, theron;"

Now, knowing that the divorce was filed and we were waiting for a court date, he went to the hospital for a simple problem which was a 50 copay, when he could have gone to the dr for a 10/15 copay. He intentionally stuck me with this bill knowing full well that as the insurance carrier it would come to me.

I have spoken with him concerning this matter and he "says" that he will reimburse me. Do I still have a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">