• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

x-step mothers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majebe

Do ex step parents have rights? What if the x-husband was violent in their relationship, such as pushing over refridge? I want to limit summer visits with him, but also don't want daughter to spend the 6 week visit with the ex step mother. Does anyone have any suggestions?

G

Grandma B

Your post isn't real clear.

Is this the case? Your daughter's father was married and is now divorced. There was violence on his part during this marriage. You didn't say where any of you live, but I assume they live near each other at a location remote from you.

If the summer visitation is court ordered, you most likely can't change it unless you can go to court and PROVE he is a violent person.

The stepmother has no rights whatsoever as pertains to your daughter.

majebe

More info

Thank you for responding. I reside in Illinois. I live 6 hours from my x. visitation is not court ordered, but agreed upon when I moved. Original visitation was resonable visitation. We agreed to everyother weekend and 2 weeks in the summer, which he had no part of until his now x-wife came into the picture.

He is now moving into a house, which I don't know about, but my daughter told me. He called last night and told her that he was closing in two weeks, but don't tell your mother "It's none of her damn business!" quote!

The x-step mother then called, do I tell her not to call anymore? Anyone else in this situation, please let me know how you feel.

Thanks

G

Grandma B

What I was saying was that the ex-stepmother has no legal right to see your daughter. Whether you want your daughter to have contact with her, by phone or in person, is entirely up to you and to her father when he has her.

I personally would consider my daughter's feelings toward the woman in making my decision. Do they have a good relationship which might be beneficial to your child? You didn't say how old your daughter is, but it can be nice to have a relationship with another caring adult. Maybe she can help you make the decision. It's her best interest that we're really concerned with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">