• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to replace tenants fridge right away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Nevada

When my current tenant first viewed the place they asked to have the fridge removed because they had their own fridge they were bringing with them. So I put the fridge that was there in my garage. They moved in with their own fridge and have been living there for a little over a year now.

Their fridge just died. They say the cost to repair it is too much so they want me to bring back the old fridge. The problem is right now I am out of town and didn't plan on being back for several weeks. They are very insistent on needing a fridge now. Which I understand, but I am wondering if legally I have to get them a fridge right away.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Nevada

When my current tenant first viewed the place they asked to have the fridge removed because they had their own fridge they were bringing with them. So I put the fridge that was there in my garage. They moved in with their own fridge and have been living there for a little over a year now.

Their fridge just died. They say the cost to repair it is too much so they want me to bring back the old fridge. The problem is right now I am out of town and didn't plan on being back for several weeks. They are very insistent on needing a fridge now. Which I understand, but I am wondering if legally I have to get them a fridge right away.
Does their lease say anything about appliances? If appliances are included in the lease then you have an obligation to provide them working appliances. Several weeks is way to long to require someone to go without refridgeration. Isn't there anyone else who can assist you in getting the fridge to them?

Does their lease say anything about appliances? If appliances are included in the lease then you have an obligation to provide them working appliances. Several weeks is way to long to require someone to go without refridgeration. Isn't there anyone else who can assist you in getting the fridge to them?
The lease just references provided appliances. I don't know if the fridge counts as a provided appliance since it wasn't there when they moved in and they asked for it to be removed before they signed the lease. No I don't have anyone else that can help with that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The lease just references provided appliances. I don't know if the fridge counts as a provided appliance since it wasn't there when they moved in and they asked for it to be removed before they signed the lease. No I don't have anyone else that can help with that.
If the fridge wasn't provided, then they will need to deal with the matter.

LdiJ

What exactly does the lease say?

What exactly does the lease say?
Landlord and Tenant(s) agree that they have inspected the provided appliances, systems, and fixtures and that they are in good working order.

Damages shall be the liability of the Tenant(s), with the exception of reasonable wear and tear, to be billed directly or taken from the security deposit.

LdiJ

Landlord and Tenant(s) agree that they have inspected the provided appliances, systems, and fixtures and that they are in good working order.

Damages shall be the liability of the Tenant(s), with the exception of reasonable wear and tear, to be billed directly or taken from the security deposit.
Well, you can tell them that you are out of town and exactly when you will be back, and see how they react. I think that they are going to make a pretty big stink about it since refridgeration is such a basic need. However, based on the wording you would have a better than decent shot at prevailing, but you could deal with some hassle in the meantime. If they call out the inspections department is there anything in the unit that could cause you grief?

quincy

If they have been good tenants overall, it would be best if you could arrange for someone to replace their dead refrigerator now with the working one from your garage. Because you were not responsible for their refrigerator failing, you should also not be held responsible for a slight delay in getting them another refrigerator.

I think both you and your tenants erred in deviating from the terms of the lease agreement. Your tenants should have put their own refrigerator in storage and used the one supplied by you.

Well, you can tell them that you are out of town and exactly when you will be back, and see how they react. I think that they are going to make a pretty big stink about it since refridgeration is such a basic need. However, based on the wording you would have a better than decent shot at prevailing, but you could deal with some hassle in the meantime. If they call out the inspections department is there anything in the unit that could cause you grief?

If there was anything wrong with the place it would have to be something they haven't yet told me of that happened within the last 2 months. I make sure to stay on top of maintenance and the place has been inspected.

quincy

If there was anything wrong with the place it would have to be something they haven't yet told me of that happened within the last 2 months. I make sure to stay on top of maintenance and the place has been inspected.
You might suggest they purchase a “student” refrigerator to use while you work to get the original refrigerator installed.

Even when a landlord is not out of town, it can take awhile to replace appliances.

adjusterjack

Their fridge just died.
This morning? Last night? Did they have sense enough to get a cooler and some ice to protect their food. If they haven't that's on them. It would take a few days to arrange delivery of another anyway.

Next questions. Are they good tenants? Do you want to keep them? Finding good tenants is not easy. Been there.

Maybe they rent a small one for a few weeks or a month and you pay for the rental if it's not too costly.

This morning? Last night? Did they have sense enough to get a cooler and some ice to protect their food. If they haven't that's on them. It would take a few days to arrange delivery of another anyway.

Next questions. Are they good tenants? Do you want to keep them? Finding good tenants is not easy. Been there.

Maybe they rent a small one for a few weeks or a month and you pay for the rental if it's not too costly.
Yesterday. I don't know about the contents of the fridge.

They're okay, but if I'm being honest I wouldn't mind if they left.

LdiJ

Yesterday. I don't know about the contents of the fridge.

They're okay, but if I'm being honest I wouldn't mind if they left.
Jack's idea of renting a fridge until you get back is probably the best solution to the problem. However, again, you should start out telling them that you are out of town and cannot do anything about it until you get back. See where it goes from there.

quincy

You can pick up mini-fridges for around $100 from places like Lowe’s. There is often next day delivery possible. That can see them through until your return.

LdiJ

You can pick up mini-fridges for around $100 from places like Lowe’s. There is often next day delivery possible.
It's more like 150.00 to 200.00 these days. Looks like rentals go for about 80-170 a month depending on style and features. Weekly is possible too but monthly looks like a better deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">