• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to do name change on homeowners insurance policy question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMP440

Florida

I recently acquired my mothers home, in which I was living in with her. She passed away The current policy is in her name. The deed is now in my name. Nothing has changed as far as address or anything added to the policy. How do I change the policy owners name from my mother's name to my name? Thank you.

LdiJ

Florida

I recently acquired my mothers home, in which I was living in with her. She passed away The current policy is in her name. The deed is now in my name. Nothing has changed as far as address or anything added to the policy. How do I change the policy owners name from my mother's name to my name? Thank you.
You contact the insurance agent and make those arrangements. Or, if you don't know who the insurance agent is, then you contact the insurance company and make those arrangements. It is a pretty simple process.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's possible (even likely) that you will need to take out a new policy in your own name, as opposed to just doing a name change.

zddoodah

How do I change the policy owners name from my mother's name to my name? Thank you.
This post doesn't raise any legal issue. Call the agent who wrote the policy (or call the insurer direct). Tell them what happened and ask that the policy to be issued under your name.

quincy

Usually you have a limited amount of time (30 days?) after the death of a policyholder to contact the insurance company before the policy is cancelled. You will want to make sure your mom’s premiums are up-to-date so there is no period of time that the house is left uninsured. You can have your mom’s agent (or another insurer if you prefer) rewrite a policy in your name. Any unused portion of your mom’s paid premium will be refunded to her estate.

You will want a copy of her death certificate and a copy of your deed.

quincy

Is the property insured with Citizens? You might have lost your coverage by now.
Florida’s property insurance has been a bit of a mess, huh? :)

It is good that the State recognized that Citizens was stretched too thin to provide coverage for all its policyholders in the event of a major disaster.

quincy

I was referring more to GMP440's responsibility to timely report the policyholder's death.
Ahh, yes. The death should have been reported to preserve policy coverage while a new policy is written in GMP440’s name. GMP could compare insurers and change insurance companies at that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">