• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inquiry Regarding Subfloor Inspection in Home Inspection Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jummi

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I’m seeking clarification from the community regarding the standard practices in home inspection reports, particularly concerning the inspection of subfloors. Is it customary for home inspectors to include an assessment of subfloors in their reports? Additionally, are inspectors obligated to inform buyers if a property lacks subfloors? I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences and insights on this matter. Thank you in advance for your input!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I’m seeking clarification from the community regarding the standard practices in home inspection reports, particularly concerning the inspection of subfloors. Is it customary for home inspectors to include an assessment of subfloors in their reports? Additionally, are inspectors obligated to inform buyers if a property lacks subfloors? I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences and insights on this matter. Thank you in advance for your input!
This is not a legal question. Rather, it is a contractual question. Read the contract for your answers, as it will spell out the obligations of the inspector.

Foamback

Houses on wood floor joists will most always have a sub-floor. Very few wood floor systems can even be built without a subfloor, car decking the most common exception.

Slab on grade and various steel and concrete floor assemblies can omit what is commonly called a subfloor.

Just what is the issue that raises this question? On existing structures, the subfloor is hidden by the finished floor, insulation, and the drywall ceiling, but it can be assumed to be there because vinyl sheets, carpet, ceramic tile and 1/4” underlayment by themselves don’t work well.

Foamback

I would guess that both posters are thinking that the presence of 1x8 diagonal planking under finished floor indicates a lack of subfloor. That is incorrect. Diagonal planking is merely an earlier generation of subfloor.

quincy

Is it customary for home inspectors to include an assessment of subfloors in their reports? Additionally, are inspectors obligated to inform buyers if a property lacks subfloors? I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences and insights on this matter. Thank you in advance for your input!
The answer to both of your questions is “no.”

Foamback provided a link to a recent thread that addresses this and the thread also has a link to what a Michigan seller must disclose to a prospective buyer prior to purchase.

How old is the house? Does the house have a basement (most houses in Michigan do)? Have you recently purchased a house - or are you in the looking stage and just curious about what is included in an inspection?

Foamback

Slab on grade, correct. A 100 year old house using floor joists? Incorrect. Diagonal planking on floor joists is subfloor

Foamback

Okay. Not unusual but not the norm even BITD. Diagonal planking gives racking strength.

My point is that many would assume that only sheet goods could act as subfloor.

In the OP’s case, the subfloor or lack-of, is a concealed condition and not discernible to most home inspectors.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">