• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trip and fall claim general questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1qaz9106

I have a general question regarding a trip and fall claim. One of my insured individuals received a letter from a lawyer concerning such a claim. The lawyer asserts that their client tripped and fell outside my insured's store. However, my insured claims there was no resulting injury. I'm wondering if negotiation is possible between my insured and the lawyer in this scenario.

Typically, I advise insured individuals to contact claims to handle such matters. However, given that there was no apparent injury, I'm curious if negotiation is a viable option.

Thank you

quincy

I have a general question regarding a trip and fall claim. One of my insured individuals received a letter from a lawyer concerning such a claim. The lawyer asserts that their client tripped and fell outside my insured's store. However, my insured claims there was no resulting injury. I'm wondering if negotiation is possible between my insured and the lawyer in this scenario.

Typically, I advise insured individuals to contact claims to handle such matters. However, given that there was no apparent injury, I'm curious if negotiation is a viable option.

Thank you
What is the name of your state?

Why would there be any negotiation?

quincy

NY

I'M just curious if the insured can negotiate it with the lawyer, or maybe just have insurance company to handle it.
I think what you typically do - that is, “advise insured individuals to contact claims to handle such matters” - is what you should continue to advise. Clients who try to handle things on their own first and who don’t know what they are doing can really muck things up.

adjusterjack

NY

I'M just curious if the insured can negotiate it with the lawyer, or maybe just have insurance company to handle it.
Pardon my bluntness but your client would be an idiot to do that. So would you be to allow it. You should be reporting the claim to the carrier right now.

As for no apparent injury, your client is clueless. He's not a doctor, he didn't examine the injured person, and injuries often don't manifest themselves right away.

zddoodah

One of my insured individuals received a letter from a lawyer concerning such a claim. The lawyer asserts that their client tripped and fell outside my insured's store.
Are you an insurance agent? If not, what do you mean when you describe this person as "[o]ne of my insured individuals"?

Is it correct that you have not directed the insured to inform the insurer's claims department about the allegation?

However, my insured claims there was no resulting injury.
Would you like to guess about the percentage of cases in which there was, in fact, an injury, despite someone claiming there wasn't? Is your insured a doctor who conducted a through physical exam of the other person?

I'm wondering if negotiation is possible between my insured and the lawyer in this scenario.
Of course it's possible.

Typically, I advise insured individuals to contact claims to handle such matters.
So...the answer to my question above is that you did not direct the insured to contact the claims department. Correct? And the reason for that is solely because of the insured's contention that "there was no resulting injury"?

If, in fact, you are an agent, I strongly suggest you confer with all insurers for which you write policies and ask what they want you to do in a scenario like this. You should also review your contracts with these insurers to determine whether you have a duty to inform the insurer in a scenario like this.

Negotiation is something that requires at least two parties. The insured can attempt to negotiate. Whether the claimant's lawyer will engage is obviously impossible for any of us to predict.

That said, you might want to familiarize yourself with the section of this insured's policies that discusses the duties of the insured upon becoming aware of facts that might give rise to a claim. I'm confident that you'll find that the insured's duty to inform the insurer of something like this exists regardless of any actual or attempted negotiation between the insured and a claimant or claimant's representative.

quincy

A person against whom a lawsuit is being considered opens his mouth “to negotiate” with an opposing side’s lawyer - and the opposing side’s lawyer undoubtedly will get that person to say something that will place fault squarely at that person’s feet.

Silence can be a wonderful tool and should be used more frequently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">