• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appraisal fee question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JTH1959

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Im seeking a a heloc from a company thats in Texas. They require a $900 appraisal fee up front. Am I a sucker if I front the payment or is there recourse if they dont perform?

quincy

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Im seeking a a heloc from a company thats in Texas. They require a $900 appraisal fee up front. Am I a sucker if I front the payment or is there recourse if they dont perform?
Why are you considering a lender in Texas if you are in North Carolina?

quincy

Many lenders will absorb the cost of an appraisal.

It pays to shop around to compare lenders. Some offer no application fees or annual fees or closing costs.

Have you investigated the lender? Have you looked at local lenders?

zddoodah

The "sucker" part of the question raises no legal issue. As for the last part of the question, who are "they," and what does "if they don't perform" mean? If you pay the fee and no appraisal gets done, then your recourse would depend on the terms of the contract and the reason(s) why the appraisal doesn't get done. If you're talking about a situation where you pay for the appraisal and the lender declines to write the loan, I can't even conceive that you'd have any recourse.

quincy

I personally believe that paying $900 to a company in Texas for an appraisal of your property in North Carolina would be a mistake. I suggest you look at lenders in North Carolina.

JTH1959

Thanks to all for your input. I was concerned that if I fork over 900 clams that theyll just keep the moolah & ignore the loan.

quincy

Thanks to all for your input. I was concerned that if I fork over 900 clams that theyll just keep the moolah & ignore the loan.
A reputable lender wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) do that but you are best off looking for a lender in your area so if a problem arises, it is easier to resolve.

You really should compare lenders before settling on one. They all have different pros and cons but many, as I said earlier, will not add extra fees or the amounts of the fees will vary.

And please read ALL of the terms and conditions. Anything you don’t understand should be explained to your full understanding. Don’t sign anything without knowing exactly what it is you are agreeing to. Some have prepayment penalties, for example.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">