• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim deed- Improper legal description

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moecanplay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am in the process of purchasing a house. The day before the closing, the title co. informed me that they had discovered a quit claim deed on the subject property that when recorded 6 yrs. ago had the incorrect legal description on it and the title co. is requesting the party to re-sign a properly worded quit claim deed. The legal description was probably 95% correct originally but was missing a "section" description. The party being asked to re-sign a corrected deed is now asking many questions about the sale of the house, in particular the proceeds of the money. Hopefully everything will work out but do they have any legal claim to the house if they really push it? Again, the legal description on the original quit claim is accurate enough to prove the party knew what they were quit claiming, it was just missing a few section numbers. Thank you

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am in the process of purchasing a house. The day before the closing, the title co. informed me that they had discovered a quit claim deed on the subject property that when recorded 6 yrs. ago had the incorrect legal description on it and the title co. is requesting the party to re-sign a properly worded quit claim deed. The legal description was probably 95% correct originally but was missing a "section" description. The party being asked to re-sign a corrected deed is now asking many questions about the sale of the house, in particular the proceeds of the money. Hopefully everything will work out but do they have any legal claim to the house if they really push it? Again, the legal description on the original quit claim is accurate enough to prove the party knew what they were quit claiming, it was just missing a few section numbers. Thank you
**A: the answer is mostly likely no, the party has no claim but an attorney would need to review the entire deed to be sure.

FlyingRon

A quit claim conveys only what it says without representation as to the validity. As mentioned, you'll have to find out if it is a legal conveyance as it stands, if they grantor isn't willing to correct it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">