• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Contestment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpvet8306

What is the name of your state? Washington
My father recently passed away this July. Around 2001 he realized his wife was indiscriminatley spending all of his money. In 2002 he named my brother and me as beneficiaries to his Veterans Life Insurance, afterwhich we paid the premiums. In 2004 he began to have problems with dementia, also during this time period his wife cashed out his Prudential Life Insurance policy. Now after his death she indicated that she wants our insurance award and says she can prove my father had Alzheimers when he changed the beneficiaries. I have written to his doctor requesting his professional insight to his mental competancy during the time he signed us as beneficiaries. She claims to have no cash but has a house and property well worth over $300,00. Should I be concerned?

Bigfoot

You don't have to prove anything to her. Only if the insurance carrier who paid you the benefits asks for an investigation will you possibly have to provide documentation.

Betty

What is the name of your state? Washington
My father recently passed away this July. Around 2001 he realized his wife was indiscriminatley spending all of his money. In 2002 he named my brother and me as beneficiaries to his Veterans Life Insurance, afterwhich we paid the premiums. In 2004 he began to have problems with dementia, also during this time period his wife cashed out his Prudential Life Insurance policy. Now after his death she indicated that she wants our insurance award and says she can prove my father had Alzheimers when he changed the beneficiaries. I have written to his doctor requesting his professional insight to his mental competancy during the time he signed us as beneficiaries. She claims to have no cash but has a house and property well worth over $300,00. Should I be concerned?
It looks like it was in 2002 when he changed the benes & was not dx with dementia until 2004. If the ins. co. paid the proceeds out to you & your brother, you need to do nothing. She would have to prove in court that your father was not competent at the time he changed the beneficiary - it looks like from your post she would not win. If you get a statement from his dr. (which you have requested) and it indicates he was competent in 2002, that would help in case she would contest in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">