• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Practice Partners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

My family doctor was in different locations, renting facilities until she went into partnership with a medical school friend of same field. Though about a year ago, my doctor apparently went on sabbatical for a year. And her patients as well my family and I were forced to have her partner as the family doctor.

Well in January there has been stated claim my original family will be coming back. I have had stomach problems even though several tests have been done, I not agree with her partner's assessment.

The question is, it's an infamous statement "I want a second opinion", can I talk with my original doctor upon her return WITHOUT her discussing the matter with her partner. Is there a law that prevents her from discussing my problem with her partner, due to the fact I do not afree with her results/replies. Remember, I was forced to have to deal with her partner due to my doctor leaving but coming back.

Probably people will reply, why dont I find a new family physican, well because I want to stay/deal with my original doctor who is assumably coming back. And someone might say, why didn't I wait till she came back. Putting that aside, do I have the right not to have my problems discussed between doctors in partnership.

ellencee

What is the name of your state? PA

My family doctor was in different locations, renting facilities until she went into partnership with a medical school friend of same field. Though about a year ago, my doctor apparently went on sabbatical for a year. And her patients as well my family and I were forced to have her partner as the family doctor.

Well in January there has been stated claim my original family will be coming back. I have had stomach problems even though several tests have been done, I not agree with her partner's assessment.

The question is, it's an infamous statement "I want a second opinion", can I talk with my original doctor upon her return WITHOUT her discussing the matter with her partner. Is there a law that prevents her from discussing my problem with her partner, due to the fact I do not afree with her results/replies. Remember, I was forced to have to deal with her partner due to my doctor leaving but coming back.

Probably people will reply, why dont I find a new family physican, well because I want to stay/deal with my original doctor who is assumably coming back. And someone might say, why didn't I wait till she came back. Putting that aside, do I have the right not to have my problems discussed between doctors in partnership.
Partners cover for each other (in medical practice); seeing a different "partner" is not really considered obtaining a second opinion.

You were not forced to do anything and neither was anyone in your family. You chose to see your physician's partner and, in this post, admitted doing so.

EC

ecmst12

Putting that aside, do I have the right not to have my problems discussed between doctors in partnership.
No, you don't. Doctors are allowed to discuss your medical information with each other in order to help determine the course of your treatment. Especially since you've actually been treated by both of these doctors, it's not going to be a privacy violation for them to discuss your case.

However you DO have the right to tell your doctor that you weren't happy with her partner's decisions and why, and get her opinion of your situation. You can even ask her not to discuss it with her partner, but again she would not be legally obligated to comply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">