• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex in-laws trashed house and siezed Ins. papers...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlpconfused

What is the name of your state? iowa

My ex wife was killed in a auto accident. The very next morning my ex wifes father
and mother siezed all the life insurance policies from my ex wifes house and
turned them over to their attorney. I got my own attorney because my ex father in-law
told me after the funeral that my only son (age12) and I were 1st beneficiaries on
at least 5 different life policies. Now my attorney and I are having a GREAT deal of
difficulty getting tese papers that the ex inlaws attorney admits are my sons and
mine. Are there any laws governing this situation? My attorney says it will be
hard to get these papers from them. These papers are my sons and mine and we
want them 7weeks ago!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Why do you think that the policies belong to you? If you are the beneficiaries, then the insurance companies will attempt to get a hold of you when they are notified of your ex wife's death. If you are not the bene's then they will not look for you. It would be illegal for her parents to make any changes, and would be practically impossible for them to do. What makes you think that you and son are bene's anyway? A bene change may have been made, and your ex may not have filed the new bene paperwork with the policies. I don't really understand what you think they will do with the policies.:confused:

rlpconfused

Why do you think that the policies belong to you? If you are the beneficiaries, then the insurance companies will attempt to get a hold of you when they are notified of your ex wife's death. If you are not the bene's then they will not look for you. It would be illegal for her parents to make any changes, and would be practically impossible for them to do. What makes you think that you and son are bene's anyway? A bene change may have been made, and your ex may not have filed the new bene paperwork with the policies. I don't really understand what you think they will do with the policies.:confused:
I know that they (ex inlaws) have these policies because their
attorney told my attorney they have them but wanted to hold on
to them till they could varify some of them. My attorney was contacted over a week ago by their attorney and their attorney
said they (inlaws and him) sat down and had a meeting and
have finnished the varification process and would be sending the
policies to my attorney immediately. That was over aweek ago.
I think they are just sitting on these policies out of spite. Is
their any legal way to force them to hand over these policies?
I'm not sure that my attorney knows! I have to assume that
these policies are mine and my sons if the ex's and their attorney
say they are... They better not do anything but turn them over to
my son and I if they are saying they are ours! I want them now!

Last edited:

rlpconfused

One other thing... My attorney told me that Insurance companies
don't seek out Bene's. All an Ins. co. would have to go by would
be my or my sons legal names and ssn's. Thats not enough info.
to find a bene.. Besides, my son lived w/ his mom before she
died and the ex's (being the executors and trustees) of my ex
wifes estate have moved into my sons former home and are
having all mail forwarded to their primary residence 200 miles
away. Even if the Insurance co. was trying to get ahold of my son
or his guardian (me), my son and I would never know it...

Shay-Pari'e

to them till they could varify some of them.That is their job, you are an *X* you know.

My attorney was contacted over a week ago by their attorney and their attorney
policies to my attorney immediately. That was over aweek ago. You expect this to be done within a week?

I think they are just sitting on these policies out of spite. Maybe they are suffering the loss of their daughter. Maybe they are all medicated due to the loss of their child, (I know I would be).
Is
I'm not sure that my attorney knows! Then your hungry disrespectful ass should get a new attorney if you are so easger for the money from your *X* wifes policy.
I have to assume that
say they are...

You are scum, and should let this family grieve.

rlpconfused

to them till they could varify some of them.That is their job, you are an *X* you know.

policies to my attorney immediately. That was over aweek ago. You expect this to be done within a week?

I think they are just sitting on these policies out of spite. Maybe they are suffering the loss of their daughter. Maybe they are all medicated due to the loss of their child, (I know I would be).
Is
I'm not sure that my attorney knows! Then your hungry disrespectful ass should get a new attorney if you are so easger for the money from your *X* wifes policy.
I have to assume that
say they are...

/QUOTE]

NO! They are scum for not allowing my son and I to go over these papers with them when they found them. I was right there in
the house as they ravaged the file cabinet for them.

They acted in BAD FAITH! Ever heard of the term? I have every
right to be very angry at these people... the reason my ex left
me money was because we were very good freinds from the
time of our divorce till the time she died.

I'm NOT the villan here... just answer my question next time...
I could care less about your ignorant opinion of me.

Shay-Pari'e

One other thing... My attorney told me that Insurance companies
don't seek out Bene's. All an Ins. co. would have to go by would
be my or my sons legal names and ssn's. Thats not enough info.
to find a bene.. Besides, my son lived w/ his mom before she
died and the ex's (being the executors and trustees) of my ex
wifes estate have moved into my sons former home and are
having all mail forwarded to their primary residence 200 miles
away. Even if the Insurance co. was trying to get ahold of my son
or his guardian (me), my son and I would never know it...
How are you your son's guardian in all this? His grandparents moved in to take care of this child.

They are not forwarding mail to their residence, yet they are to your *X*s residence.

If you have guardianship, why is your son not with you?

This has to be a troll thread.

Shay-Pari'e

Is
I have to assume that
say they are...

/QUOTE]

NO! They are scum for not allowing my son and I to go over these papers with them when they found them. I was right there in
the house as they ravaged the file cabinet for them. You want your 12 year old to look at policies after loosing his mother the day before?

They acted in BAD FAITH! Ever heard of the term?Sure I have, but this is not the case here.

I have every

Pay me for a answer you want to hear, or stay tuned for other's answers.:rolleyes:

rlpconfused

How are you your son's guardian in all this? His grandparents moved in to take care of this child.

They are not forwarding mail to their residence, yet they are to your *X*s residence.

If you have guardianship, why is your son not with you?

This has to be a troll thread.
Maybee you should re-read this entire thread. I AM the guardian
of my son. And I don't even need this money. I will raise the
roof to make sure that my son gets what is ALL his. That is
absolutely EVERYTHING according to state law! Just a father
protecting my sons best interests here, and mine as well. I don't
think I'm out of line here. If they have papers that have my sons
or my name as 1st bene's on them, then they should do the right
and legal thing and immediately hand them over... they are NOT
the only ones greiving here you know! My 12 yr. old son sat
conscious in the car and watched his mom die. Want to here the
specifics? My son would tell you, he was there... not you!

The ex's moved into the house not for my son. But to execute the
estate. My son lives w/ me. Hope that clears that up... lol

Last edited:

rlpconfused

Is
I have to assume that
say they are...

/QUOTE]

the house as they ravaged the file cabinet for them. You want your 12 year old to look at policies after loosing his mother the day before?

They acted in BAD FAITH! Ever heard of the term?Sure I have, but this is not the case here.

I have every

Pay me for a answer you want to hear, or stay tuned for other's answers.:rolleyes:
Wouldn't think of it. Your obviously not here to answer questions
but to deal out judgements on people. Thanks for nothing.

Bigfoot

Ex in laws...

RLP - I believe your original question was with regards to the policies. If you have the name of the insurance company, you may contact them directly, in the event they can't reach you. The main records that they have on file is all that you need to begin the process of getting your insurance benefits.

I'm sorry for your loss. Death is always a painful time.

rlpconfused

RLP - I believe your original question was with regards to the policies. If you have the name of the insurance company, you may contact them directly, in the event they can't reach you. The main records that they have on file is all that you need to begin the process of getting your insurance benefits.

I'm sorry for your loss. Death is always a painful time.
Thank you Bigfoot. Finally I get a rational answer.

My attorney has the papers minus the Beneficiary names that were turned over to him
from my ex's attorney. I have seen all 5 policies... minus the names. I just want to
know why I am not recieving the original papers now (7weeks) after the death
certificates were available. If I were in my ex inlaws shoes I would have done
it.
And then I probably wouldn't have even hired an attorney at this point of the
process. If these papers are listing my son and I as 1st beneficiaries then why
haven't my son and I recieved them yet...? This ugly situation didn't get ugly
until my ex inlaws failed to produce the papers as promised in what I
assumed to be a GOOD FAITH agreement. And to think that a sworn attorney
would (for purpose) hold these papers back from my son and I defies all
legal logic that I know of...

Last edited:

moburkes

OP, what you are not understanding is that the POLICIES do not belong to you. I told you that already. Your only concern is: Am I and/or my son the veneficiary of any of the policies. Now that you have them, simply contact the insurance companies. Explain that your ex has died, and you would like to give them her death certificates so that the correct beneficiaries can be contacted. If you are NOT the benes, then they will do their jobs, and try to find the correct ones. You do not even KNOW that you are. You are guessing. And, if you are NOT, then maybe the in-laws simply didn't want you to know who is. Also, like I stated earlier (apparently you can't read), if your ex changed the benes since she purchased the policy, she may not have even put the new paper work along w/ the original policies. Now that you do have the policies, and if you are the benes, you can turn them in.

Its really very simple. I'm not sure why you are not letting your attorney handle this for you. You are payng him, aren't you?

But you do come across as being greedy, since you stated, that after 1 week, they hadn't returned the papers to you. Heck, you said that you were at the ex's house after she died, and since its no longer YOUR house (if it ever was), there wasn't necessarily a reason for you to be there.

rlpconfused

OP, what you are not understanding is that the POLICIES do not belong to you. I told you that already. Your only concern is: Am I and/or my son the veneficiary of any of the policies. Now that you have them, simply contact the insurance companies. Explain that your ex has died, and you would like to give them her death certificates so that the correct beneficiaries can be contacted. If you are NOT the benes, then they will do their jobs, and try to find the correct ones. You do not even KNOW that you are. You are guessing. And, if you are NOT, then maybe the in-laws simply didn't want you to know who is. Also, like I stated earlier (apparently you can't read), if your ex changed the benes since she purchased the policy, she may not have even put the new paper work along w/ the original policies. Now that you do have the policies, and if you are the benes, you can turn them in.

Its really very simple. I'm not sure why you are not letting your attorney handle this for you. You are payng him, aren't you?

But you do come across as being greedy, since you stated, that after 1 week, they hadn't returned the papers to you. Heck, you said that you were at the ex's house after she died, and since its no longer YOUR house (if it ever was), there wasn't necessarily a reason for you to be there.
Your not understanding at all. I stated that my ex father inlaw told me that my son
and I were the 1st beneficiaries of 5 seperate policies, as did his attorney tell
my attorney the very same thing. Are you trying to tell me that my ex father
inlaw and his attorney are purposely lying to me? What would be the point
of it... at a time like this? And just for your info. mo., My ex wife told me
face to face 5days before her death that I was a 1st bene. on a life policy
of hers while I was getting info. from her about the Life policies I was
carrying on her and my son because my employer had switched Ins.
co's.. And I am far from greedy. I just believe that an agreement is
an agreement and anyone that initiates an agreement and then fails
to follow through is not worth my trust.

My own father told me once... fool me once and it's your fault, fool me twice
and it's my own fault! This is a matter of principle, not of greed.

Last edited:

rlpconfused

Your not understanding at all. I stated that my ex father inlaw told me that my son
and I were the 1st beneficiaries of 5 seperate policies, as did his attorney tell
my attorney the very same thing. Are you trying to tell me that my ex father
inlaw and his attorney are purposely lying to me? What would be the point
of it... at a time like this? And just for your info. mo., My ex wife told me
face to face 5days before her death that I was a 1st bene. on a life policy
of hers while I was getting info. from her about the Life policies I was
carrying on her and my son because my employer had switched Ins.
co's.. And I am far from greedy. I just believe that an agreement is
an agreement and anyone that initiates an agreement and then fails
to follow through is not worth my trust.

My own father told me once... fool me once and it's your fault, fool me twice
and it's my own fault! This is a matter of principle, not of greed.
And I would like to clear one more thing up... My ex-wife and I were Very good
freinds before and after our divorce... I was at the house because by law
that house is my sons and I am his legal guardian. We were there getting him
some clothes and personal posessions. Your not real sharp are you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">