• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex in-laws trashed house and siezed Ins. papers...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

Has her estate gone through probate?

You have the policies in your hand. Have you contacted the insurance companies?

Betty

Why don't you do as Moburkes suggested more than once - contact the ins. co.(s) & notify them of your ex-wife's death. Let them know you have a copy of the death certificate & would like to submit it to them so the beneficiaries (whoever they may be) can be paid the proceeds. When you send the death cert., you can include contact info for you so they can contact you if you and/or your son are benes on any policies.
I am sorry for the death of your ex-wife & son's mother.

rlpconfused

Why don't you do as Moburkes suggested more than once - contact the ins. co.(s) & notify them of your ex-wife's death. Let them know you have a copy of the death certificate & would like to submit it to them so the beneficiaries (whoever they may be) can be paid the proceeds. When you send the death cert., you can include contact info for you so they can contact you if you and/or your son are benes on any policies.
I am sorry for the death of your ex-wife & son's mother.
Thank you.

I did find out from my attorney that papers were recieved by him last Fri..
And there are still papers un-accounted for. I find it very obvious at
this point that my ex inlaws and their snake attorney are not putting
the best interests of my son first.... Sad.

Iwill keep fighting the good fight for my son reguardless of the anomosity
my ex inlaws have caused.

Also, at least now my attorney has the Ins. co's. names and he can go around
the ex inlaws to get to the bottom of this mess. ... that didn't have to be!

Betty

Ok - that's good that you now have the ins. cos. names - now you & your attorney can go from there re contacting them, etc.

rlpconfused

Ex-inlaws Have Tied Up Life Policies...

Into a trust. A trust that will be controlled by my ex-father inlaw until my
son turns 25yrs. of age. As my sons only legal guardian can I contest
these poliicies to keep them from going into this trust? My son is only
12yrs. old.

seniorjudge

Your not understanding at all. I stated that my ex father inlaw told me that my son and I were the 1st beneficiaries of 5 seperate policies, as did his attorney tell my attorney the very same thing.

You keep adding things. Now there is a trust?

In any event, as repeatedly stated here: talk to the insurance company (not anyone else). After you do that, let us know what the insurance company said.

fairisfair

Into a trust. A trust that will be controlled by my ex-father inlaw until my
son turns 25yrs. of age. As my sons only legal guardian can I contest
these poliicies to keep them from going into this trust? My son is only
12yrs. old.
I am willing to bet that your ex inlaws are doing nothing other than their duties as executors. I, too, have all of my daughter's funds protected until she is of age, in the event that anything happens to me. Certainly a way to separate those who truly wish to parent and care for a child from those who are interested in controlling her money.

rlpconfused

Your not understanding at all. I stated that my ex father inlaw told me that my son and I were the 1st beneficiaries of 5 seperate policies, as did his attorney tell my attorney the very same thing.

You keep adding things. Now there is a trust?

In any event, as repeatedly stated here: talk to the insurance company (not anyone else). After you do that, let us know what the insurance company said.
My ex wife will named her father as exec. and trustee of her estate. Which is
fine... but I didn't realize she could have stated on the policy "In the trust of
my son....." Please explain how the legal guardian can be completely by-passed
on a life policy...

This is a hunch I have as to the whereabouts of a certain very large policy may be.
I think the ex father inlaw was just hedging his bets when he made the above
statement. I don't think he really knew the whole story at that time.

I do know that it is not a good idea to state minors as bene's on life plans. This
has me suspicious as to why this particular policy wasn't sent to my attorney w/
the other papers.

moburkes

I agree with SJ. There has GOT to be something missing. The trust would have to be set up before the mom died. The trust would be funded by the life insurance policies, and the trust would own the polices. The trust would also make specific references as to how any money in the trust would be spent. The executors of the estate cannot arbitrarily assign the life insurance policies to be paid to a trust. I don't care WHO their lawyer is, it just doesn't work that way. Also, in order to do all of this after their daughter has passed away, the insurance companies would have to be "in on it" too.

Where are you getting your information from? If this type of information is coming from your lawyer, you need a new one.

And, how do you KNOW that there are other papers unaccounted for?
What do you think that they could possiby DO with life insurance papers AFTER someone has died?

rlpconfused

I agree with SJ. There has GOT to be something missing. The trust would have to be set up before the mom died. The trust would be funded by the life insurance policies, and the trust would own the polices. The trust would also make specific references as to how any money in the trust would be spent. The executors of the estate cannot arbitrarily assign the life insurance policies to be paid to a trust. I don't care WHO their lawyer is, it just doesn't work that way. Also, in order to do all of this after their daughter has passed away, the insurance companies would have to be "in on it" too.

Where are you getting your information from? If this type of information is coming from your lawyer, you need a new one.

And, how do you KNOW that there are other papers unaccounted for?
What do you think that they could possiby DO with life insurance papers AFTER someone has died?
Your absolutely right Mo. Thanks. I will be going to my attorney's office this week to
sign papers for all the policies that my attorney and I were looking for. We simply
went around the ex inlaws. Also, my ex father inlaw has taken a large sum of money that was left to him and gifting it all to my son. Looks like this part of the process is aobut
to get wrapped up. I am not sure what to make of my attorney's lack of initial action
other than the fact that he was trying to give the other side of this matter ample time
to supply our side the info. that we needed to file claims. My patients was obviously running on empty.

Thanks to all that have helped me here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">