• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eloxley

What is the name of your state? Ohio

If an employer refuses to pay an hourly employee overtime that is due, with the argument that he wouldn't be able to afford to give her extra hours if he did, isn't that a violation of FLSA? If so, can a person outside of the immediate situation report it, or does it have to come directly from the employee?

Thank you.

JETX

If an employer refuses to pay an hourly employee overtime that is due, with the argument that he wouldn't be able to afford to give her extra hours if he did, isn't that a violation of FLSA?
Based SOLELY on the information in your post, it is LIKELY a violation.

If so, can a person outside of the immediate situation report it, or does it have to come directly from the employee?
Anyone can file a complaint, but the state DOL will probably not take any action unless an involved party complains. Simply, you have NO standing in the matter.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Yes, if they can't afford to pay the overtime, they shouldn't let her work the extra hours. If they need her to work the extra hours, they need to pay the overtime.

Betty

If they are definitely a non-exempt employee (pay being expressed in hourly terms doesn't automatically make them non-exempt), then it should be reported to the DOL as the other posters indicated.

eloxley

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It's the employer of a close relative that is screwing her over royally. Granted, I may not be immediately involved in the situation, but close enough that I'll have to pick up the pieces when it all falls apart. This same employer also withheld appropriate taxes from her pay for an entire year, then tried to convince her to take a 1099 and a partial refund of the taxes at the end of the year! Didn't take much to do the math on that one....!

I'll see what I can find out from the DOL, but any additional insight/advice would certainly be appreciated. This guy has been a PITA for years, and I wouldn't mind it at all if his business took a hit.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">