• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building Parking Garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjr3000

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I think this is the correct place for this. If not, please advise.

We have a dedicated parking garage for our building. Recently, there has been numerous occurances of vandalism and car break-ins. Our building management is telling us they have zero responsibility for any damage. I need to know if they are correct.

Some background:
They have been told of problems in the garage and have taken no visible action to correct the problems.
They have a video surveilance system, but no cameras in the garage.
The security guard has been observed sleeping on numerous occasions.
There is no document signed by any individual releasing the building from liability for parking there. There is also no document between any employee and our employer.

The garage is private propery and dedicated only to the businesses in our building. It is an open entrance (meaning, no gate or other device to go through) to enter.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
Tom

tjr3000

Not really a hypothetical...

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is happening right now.

A car was broken into last week. Two days later, one of the emblems was pried off of my car. The building is denying responsibility for either. I'm trying to keep my "feelings" out of this (obviously, I "feel" like this is their problem to address and they should be responsible for the damages to the vehicles") and looking for an opinion based on experience/law.

Thanks,
Tom

moburkes

Vandalism is covered by the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy. Depending on what is being stolen, the coverage is available under your comprehensive coverage (auto) or your home owner's policy.

If you KNOW of the potential for break-ins, why park there?

tjr3000

No other choice for parking

Because of the way the building is located, my only other option would be to park on a city street and walk approximately 1/2 mile to work. It's really the only parking option we have.

tjr3000

Point taken, but...

you haven't answered the question yet. ;)

I'm not all that worried about my car. I can't imagine the emblem will come anywhere near my deductible, and that's good.

However, the other person's car had multiple windows smashed and contents taken. Total damages are around $2200, but split between windows (about $900) and contents ($1300), neither of which hits her deductible ($1000 on car, $2500 on homeowners which cover contents). She wants to go after the building. I do, too. I'm a bit more of a PITA than she is, though...

tjr3000

Did ya?

Okay, it's been a long day already...

What "circumstances" are missing from my explanation? I know this isn't necessarily a cut-and-dried answer, but I think its possible to go further than "it depends...", yes?

seniorjudge

Okay, it's been a long day already...

What "circumstances" are missing from my explanation? I know this isn't necessarily a cut-and-dried answer, but I think its possible to go further than "it depends...", yes?
The more crap that happens in that garage and the more times the cops are called, the more likely that a court will find that the owners are somehow or somewhat liable for the future crap that happens.

seniorjudge

Normally, I'm not this dense...

That makes sense.

Thanks!
If you are like me -- an admitted political junkie -- your brain is probably numb from watching all those commercials.

Where I am I get television stations in five states: it's brutal....:rolleyes:

Beth3

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I think this is the correct place for this. If not, please advise.

We have a dedicated parking garage for our building. Recently, there has been numerous occurances of vandalism and car break-ins. Our building management is telling us they have zero responsibility for any damage. I need to know if they are correct.

Some background:
They have been told of problems in the garage and have taken no visible action to correct the problems.
They have a video surveilance system, but no cameras in the garage.
The security guard has been observed sleeping on numerous occasions.
There is no document signed by any individual releasing the building from liability for parking there. There is also no document between any employee and our employer.

The garage is private propery and dedicated only to the businesses in our building. It is an open entrance (meaning, no gate or other device to go through) to enter.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
Tom
The person(s) responsible for the vandalism and break-ins are the criminals committing those acts, not company management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">