• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex husband pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needshelp18

What is the name of your state? ga

My ex husband recently died and I was told through his family that i was beneficiary of his pension accout by what he had told them. When I contacted his company they told me that the beneficiary had been notified and then changed this later and said that his pension had no beneficary and was returned to company funds. Do I have any right to or case to this pension money. He never paid child support or gave any help after the divorce?:confused:

seniorjudge

Q: Do I have any right to or case to this pension money?

A: I do not know, but I would certainly hire a lawyer to pursue this if you can't get any info out of the pension people.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? ga

My ex husband recently died and I was told through his family that i was beneficiary of his pension accout by what he had told them. When I contacted his company they told me that the beneficiary had been notified and then changed this later and said that his pension had no beneficary and was returned to company funds. Do I have any right to or case to this pension money. He never paid child support or gave any help after the divorce?:confused:
How long were you married?

Was this particular pension plan in effect DURING your marriage to him?

Every pension plan MUST have a beneficiary. You as his wife are entitled to 50% of the benefit for the period the plan was in effect during your marriage.

Sounds like there was never a QDRO. Why?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How long were you married?

Was this particular pension plan in effect DURING your marriage to him?

Every pension plan MUST have a beneficiary. You as his wife are entitled to 50% of the benefit for the period the plan was in effect during your marriage.

Sounds like there was never a QDRO. Why?
She may not have been entitled. She may have waived any rights to his pension which means that there would not have been a QDRO.

needshelp18

Im from ga and we were married 17 years and yes this pension (gm motors) was in effect then. Not sure need to pull divorce papers out again to con firm actually pension statements on it. My sons keep telling me my ex said I was beneficary but I cant get any info from gm other than there conflicting stories. One timwe they say no beneficary and another time they said beneficary had been notified. Is there any way to truelly find out who is the beneficary of his pension or how to go about finding out. Its like a game with them always asking one more question that i dont have an answer to-- like his zip code like I kept up with his every move after divorce. :mad:

LdiJ

Im from ga and we were married 17 years and yes this pension (gm motors) was in effect then. Not sure need to pull divorce papers out again to con firm actually pension statements on it. My sons keep telling me my ex said I was beneficary but I cant get any info from gm other than there conflicting stories. One timwe they say no beneficary and another time they said beneficary had been notified. Is there any way to truelly find out who is the beneficary of his pension or how to go about finding out. Its like a game with them always asking one more question that i dont have an answer to-- like his zip code like I kept up with his every move after divorce. :mad:
Again, as has already been suggested you need to have an attorney check into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">