• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil self representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barn1

What is the name of your state? Maine

Is it legal to represent yourself in a medical malpractice suite in the state of maine if your the one claiming injury? Also is anyone aware of any court cases anywhere specifically relating to DNR orders?

moburkes

Sure. Its probably one of the dumbest things that you can do, though.

Are you the one that wasn't DNR'd?:eek:

barn1

Sure. Its probably one of the dumbest things that you can do, though.

Are you the one that wasn't DNR'd?:eek:
Why is it a dumb idea? No I wasn't the one that was DNR'd.....lol...... I was wondering about that to see if I could ascertain what constituted the difference between recusitation and treatment.....I was wondering if that ground had been explored or ruled on.

panzertanker

I was wondering about that to see if I could ascertain what constituted the difference between recusitation and treatment.....I was wondering if that ground had been explored or ruled on.
Yes it has been explored...
It is part of the DNR order, and spells out exactly what the patient wishes to have /not have performed.

Generally, recusitation entails Airway intervention and CPR. (intubation, electrocardioversion, etc.)
Non-recusitative means are generally IV medications only, or no intervention at all. (I am making this simplistic)

barn1

Thanks...

I was talking about ceasing an IV so that is exactly what I needed to know!!! Can you point me in any directions as far as specific cases or resources?

barry1817

dumb idea

Why is it a dumb idea? No I wasn't the one that was DNR'd.....lol...... I was wondering about that to see if I could ascertain what constituted the difference between recusitation and treatment.....I was wondering if that ground had been explored or ruled on.

A malpractice case is fraught with rules that must be followed, and procedures that must be followed. If they aren't a valid case can be dismissed and not be allowed to be refiled.

Do you want to have a valid case dismissed because you missed a filing deadline, or filed on the wrong type of paper, or in the wrong court, or lacked proper witnesses, and the list could go on.

Good luck with this, but remember the adage about a person who is their own lawyer having a fool as a client.

[email protected]

ecmst12

If you are not the one who's DNR was/was not violated (or overstepped if that's what you are claiming) then you are not the one who was injured.....you might want to post a few more details!

Unless you have legal education though, (and possibly even if you DO have some legal education), I agree that it wouldn't be wise to try to represent yourself in a case as complicated as this, even if it's legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">